World Cup 2022

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
The 1990 WC also was also my first World Cup. Germany's squad and its tricolor national flag kit gave me such a long lasting impression. The best.

90-9.jpg

Great World Cup indeed. And last one for our former country Yugoslavia when we lost to Argentina on penalties.

I suggest just watching the goals from that World Cup. So much beauty.

Obviously very fond memories from France 1998 and Russia 2018 when my country came 3rd and 2nd but objectively 1990 is top

BBZ8800

Great World Cup indeed. And last one for our former country Yugoslavia when we lost to Argentina on penalties.

I suggest just watching the goals from that World Cup. So much beauty.

Obviously very fond memories from France 1998 and Russia 2018 when my country came 3rd and 2nd but objectively 1990 is top

I was reading some articles about the quality of football and matches.
And France 98' is regarded as a WC with the best football/matches/quality ever.

Italy 90 and Usa 94 are rated as lower quality.
In Italy, there weren't too many big matches (unlucky draw) and there wasn't too many goals, beautiful play. Just lots of 1:0 and tons of butcher tackles and red cards.
In Usa 94, some big teams were missing (for example France, England, Portugal, Belgium, Denmark), a lot of big teams were KOd early and there was just a bunch of matches between big team vs small team.

Japan/Korea 02 had weird football, weird results, rigged matches by refs etc.

So, from that era, neutrals say that France 98 was the most exciting and with the most quality.

Porque

Never liked 98 but probably because of the early Spain exit.

94 is the nostalgia Cup for me. The smaller teams that went far all had great star players leading them.

Euro2000 though, best tournament of the modern era.

BBZ8800

I can't wait that Argentina knock out Croats. I just don't like how Croatia play. Messi will make sure they lose.

One thing which I'll never understand is how neutrals always rate only the most famous 3-4-5 sides.
Before the Wc, favorites were: Brazil, Argentina, France, England, Germany, Spain.

Even if in 8 days we'll have Croatia-Morocco final and if we would have a new WC in 30 days, pundits and fans would again say: the biggest favorites of replayed WC are again: Brazil, Argentina, France, England, Spain.
England has iirc 2 semis in the last 60 years but somehow they are always favorites.
Brazil lost to 5 European in a row in KO matches on the last 5 WCs, but they'll again be favorites in 30 days because they have Neymar, a social media star, who never won anything when he was the leader of his team except 2015' with MSN. and even then he won 1 CL in 4 years with Messi or in 3 years with MSN.

Croatia might win 5 times in a row against Argentina, but fans will again say before the 6th match: Argentina and Messi are the favorites.

Insane, but fine.
Let's hope that Argies will have the same attitude.

BBZ8800

Never liked 98 but probably because of the early Spain exit.

Perfect stadiums, perfect weather, perfect crowd, all big teams were there, lots of big matches and great goals, good quality football from lots of teams.
We don't have any matches today, so take your time and enjoy 20 minutes of all goals from World cup 98':

Horatio

You're welcome
Dunno the exact time needed for a countries status a fav or non fav to change, but for the The Netherlands it definitely changed. I think people look at the players. Belgium became a fav for 2018

Laplacian

Perfect stadiums, perfect weather, perfect crowd, all big teams were there, lots of big matches and great goals, good quality football from lots of teams.
We don't have any matches today, so take your time and enjoy 20 minutes of all goals from World cup 98':

Also not a shithole 3rd world nation. Feels like every world cup has been in the 3rd world since 2006. Feel like I'll be an old grandpa before we get a world cup like 1998 France or Germany 2006 again.

Judoman

England has iirc 2 semis in the last 60 years but somehow they are always favorites.

But are they really? They always loose in similar fashion. Yesterday they played well, were the better team and yet....they loose. I never consider England as possible winners and lately they also practice self-jinx with the "it's comming home" stuff.
Brazil is always a favorite due to their history, well deserved. But their recent teams are lead by Neymar who is not in the "good leader" bracket. They always look soft in the end.

BBZ8800

Dunno the exact time needed for a countries status a fav or non fav to change, but for the The Netherlands it definitely changed. I think people look at the players. Belgium became a fav for 2018

The same as in politics, some countries are more "important".
It seems that fans perception of NT's strength comes from:
1. history (Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, France, England, Spain)
2. current Ballon D Or winners (Messi, Cr7)
3. players playing in big EPL teams
4. players playing at Barca/Real

Reagrding Belgim, personally I never understood the hype.
I mean, yes, they were good, but not as good to be among 2-3 favorites.
But imo, the hype came from EPL: De Bruyne at City, Hazard at Chelsea + Lukaku.
I wasn't following EPL too much and since they were usually meh in a CL, I didn't care about Belgium players.
But for pundits, they were constantly among favorites. Even that supercomputer said that they'll play in a final this years, isn't it?

Regarding Dutch, yes, you are weaker, but look again: you don't have any players at top EPL clubs so you don't exist.
Only Frenkie at falling Barca.
Morocoo = only Ziyech as a bench player in top EPL teams.
Croatia = EPL doesn't care. Nobody plays there except Kovacic and Perisic lately.

But are they really? They always loose in similar fashion. Yesterday they played well, were the better team and yet....they loose. I never consider England as possible winners and lately they also practice self-jinx with the "it's comming home" stuff.
Brazil is always a favorite due to their history, well deserved. But their recent teams are lead by Neymar who is not in the "good leader" bracket. They always look soft in the end.

England are favorites because papers/media are somewhat UK/Usa based in all sports and western culture.
NBA champions are called world champion and similar...

About Brazil, I don't rate them after 2002'
It's all history and showboating.
While Europeans evolved a lot in physique and tactics since 2002'

Brazil played 424 with Casemiro-funky Paqueta midfield, lol.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
The same as in politics, some countries are more "important".
It seems that fans perception of NT's strength comes from:
1. history (Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, France, England, Spain)
2. current Ballon D Or winners (Messi, Cr7)
3. players playing in big EPL teams
4. players playing at Barca/Real

Reagrding Belgim, personally I never understood the hype.
I mean, yes, they were good, but not as good to be among 2-3 favorites.
But imo, the hype came from EPL: De Bruyne at City, Hazard at Chelsea + Lukaku.
I wasn't following EPL too much and since they were usually meh in a CL, I didn't care about Belgium players.
But for pundits, they were constantly among favorites. Even that supercomputer said that they'll play in a final this years, isn't it?

Regarding Dutch, yes, you are weaker, but look again: you don't have any players at top EPL clubs so you don't exist.
Only Frenkie at falling Barca.
Morocoo = only Ziyech as a bench player in top EPL teams.
Croatia = EPL doesn't care. Nobody plays there except Kovacic and Perisic lately.

England are favorites because papers/media are somewhat UK/Usa based in all sports and western culture.
NBA champions are called world champion and similar...

About Brazil, I don't rate them after 2002'
It's all history and showboating.
While Europeans evolved a lot in physique and tactics since 2002'

Brazil played 424 with Casemiro-funky Paqueta midfield, lol.

It seems you already have the answer to your question.

Yes, it's mostly history and current players where do they play. Balon d'Or winner not so much I think. If say Mitrovic won Balon Dor still no one would see Serbia as fav. Maybe dark horse.

Home of Barca Fans