World Cup 2022

JamDav1982

Most of y'all are aging yourself crazy or lying if they remember the actual qualify if the WC going back to 90/94.

Most would have to be mid 40's early 50's to remember those WC, I doubt many grown men have the time to be posting on a internet forum, so couple people definitely lying.

Worse.. some dont even know what watching last season and think Kessie had skill set for Barca.

Dont even know what your watching yall and lying about watching Milan.

Windhook

Most of y'all are aging yourself crazy or lying if they remember the actual qualify if the WC going back to 90/94.

Most would have to be mid 40's early 50's to remember those WC, I doubt many grown men have the time to be posting on a internet forum, so couple people definitely lying.

I was born in 1986, my first memory from a World Cup is the 1990 WC, seeing the mascot on TV which for a kid attracts attention. My first real memory from a football game is Netherlands vs. Denmark at the Euro 92, my brother rooting for Van Basten.

USA 94 games started mostly at/past midnight in Eastern Europe, whole of Bulgaria didn't sleep for a month, but I did. My birthday party was the day after Bulgaria eliminated Germany in the 1/4 finals, gathered all the kids in the neighbourhood and just as I was blowing the candles Hristo Stoichkov scored this iconic free kick. We had no idea it was a replay on TV from the game last night.

jamrock

I was born in 1986, my first memory from a World Cup is the 1990 WC, seeing the mascot on TV which for a kid attracts attention. My first real memory from a football game is Netherlands vs. Denmark at the Euro 92, my brother rooting for Van Basten.

USA 94 games started mostly at/past midnight in Eastern Europe, whole of Bulgaria didn't sleep for a month, but I did. My birthday party was the day after Bulgaria eliminated Germany in the 1/4 finals, gathered all the kids in the neighbourhood and just as I was blowing the candles Hristo Stoichkov scored this iconic free kick. We had no idea it was a replay on TV from the game last night.

Yea this sounds about right for anyone in the early to mid 30's, first WC I can remember vividly and can speak to is France 98, that WC was a joy & even then I was too young to be able to break down games on a higher level, I just enjoyed the show.

Windhook

Yea this sounds about right for anyone in the early to mid 30's, first WC I can remember vividly and can speak to is France 98, that WC was a joy & even then I was too young to be able to break down games on a higher level, I just enjoyed the show.

Yep, exactly. I believe guys are genuine here talking about memories from WC 94 and 98, as most of us are in mid 30's, early 40's. You don't have to be someone of age who's seen Jimi Hendrix play live.

BBZ8800

Any information on Croatia NT coach Zlatko Dalic? What kind of coach is he? What is his philosophy? Better tactician than Scaloni?

A former 1st division footballer, played in midtable Croatian clubs.
As a coach, he coached a few midtable Croatian teams and then moved to Saudi Arabia for a few years.
He was a secondary coach of Croatian U21 side also.

He hasn't achieved anything significant on a club level.
With NT team though, he has clicked.

Look at Croatia's results before him:
2010 WC = hadn't qualify
2012 Euro = group stage KO
2014 WC = group stage KO
2016 Euro = R of 16, KOd by Portugal in extra time 1:0
===============
2018 WC = final
2021 Euro = R of 16, KOd by Spain in extra time 5:3
2022 WC = currently semis

Croatian fans and media loved him after 2018, but some were asking whether he is good or the team was just good and played on autopilot.
On Euros 2021, Croatia played without Rakitic, Mandzukic, Vrsaljko and played way worse.
Fans and media started calling him a fraud and that he was just lucky in 2018.
Now in 2022, a lot of fans were against him after 0:0 with Morocco and some questionable lineups. But after promoting to R of 16, fans and media are united again and now everyone loves him again.

Some of cons about him:
-- he rarely subs his favorite players (something like Busi at Barca)
-- in Croatia you have rivalry between two biggest clubs: Dinamo zagreb from Capital and Northern part of Croatia and Hajduk Split from South (Mediterranean sea).
Dinamo is corrupted, something like Juve or Bayern. Refs and politics are on Zagreb's side.
But also, due to that criminal guy Mamic and good scouting, Dinamo is buying all the top youth Croatian talent, developing them well and selling to top clubs later. In the last 17 years, Zagreb has won 16 titles and played numerous times in Champions league and Europa league, winning against lots of famous clubs.
Some players coming from Dinamo's system are: Modric, Kovacic, Brozovic, Mandzukic, Vrsaljko, Kramaric, Livakovic, Kranjcar, Lovren, Vida, Olic, Corluka, Biscan, Eduardo Da Silva, Gvardiol, Pjaca, Dani Olmo, Halilovic, Majer.
Yet, Dalic is from southern part and some fans and media claim that he plays too many players with southern roots (like Lucho with Barca's players in Spain).
A part of fans don't like attacking options where Dalic is preferring southern players with zero league titles and without the winning menatlity like Livaja, Vlasic, Pasalic over Dinamo Zagreb's attacking duo Petkovic-Orsic.
Orsic is fan favorite among Dinamo Zagreb's fans (the most popular club).
Orsic's problem is that he is a LW, and Croatian LW is Perisic, who is a monster player.
But still, one of them could play as a RW or some other option.
After Mandzukic retired and Rebic is banned from the NT team, Croatia often lacked attacking power with Perisic as a LW and average players at Cf and Rw, usually someone from Budimir, Livaja, Vlasic, Kramaric, Pasalic, Petkovic combo.
The thing is that Petkovic is kinda slow and somewhat lazy, but he can pull a wondergoal and crazy dribbles out of nowhere from time to time.
But his main strength is playing in pair with Orsic since they are playing for years as an attacking duo for Zagreb and won matches against Tottenham, Chelsea, West Ham lots of times, for example.
So, Petkovic is kinda lost without Orsic. And Orsic can't play due to LW Perisic. And then we have a slow, sterile attack consisted of lots of out-of-position players.
And then, since LW Perisic is one of the untouchables, Orsic usually gets only 3-10 per match in the dying minutes.
But even against Brazil, Croatia's equalizer came from Zagreb's Orsic-Petkovic combo Orsic-Petkovic. Orsic run, dribbled and assisted. Petkovic scored.

I would personally rate Dalic as 8/10 or 9/10 for Croatia. I would keep him for years.
But I am not too happy with attacking lineup and sometimes he is too late with subs, something like: how can you sub Modric? No one can tell Modric to go out, you just can't do that.

If you are asking about Dalic regarding future club football jobs, I would say: meh.
some coaches are just perfect for NT football and have good connections and understanding only with their domestic players.

About Orsic, he is somewhat a one-trick or a two-trick pony.
He is fast down the left wing and his main skill is a wicked shot right footed strike from the edge of a box, something similar to Coutinho's shots.
If you check his goals, majority of his goals are exactly the same: he gets the ball on the left side at the edge of a box and you are dead.
But since Croatia lacks pace and shooting in the attack, he is by far the most dangerous shooter.
So, my biggest con regarding Dalic is not playing Lord Orsic way more often.
The same goal scored over and over, lol:

Last edited:

Porque

Yeah, most of the ratings for the WC will be related to childhood nostalgia.

With respect to BBZ, I imagine the moments of that Croatia run would be the reason behind the 98 rating.

I watched the entirety of the WC98 goals and alot of those would just not happen these days.

I also learned that England beat Tunisia 2-0 and not 3-0. I have been living a lie for 24 years. :lol:

jamrock

Yep, exactly. I believe guys are genuine here talking about memories from WC 94 and 98, as most of us are in mid 30's, early 40's. You don't have to be someone of age who's seen Jimi Hendrix play live.

Yea memories and saying which is the best WC is too different things though, to make that claim you've had to be closer to your high teens, early 20's to be able to make any judgement on WC a quality, not 11/12.

16/17 at 1994 would make that person 44, 48 for 1990.

You crazy as hell if you're posting on this place at 48, do you think you'll be doing this at 44-48? Honest question no BS behind it.

Idk I just find it difficult to believe many in their mid to late 40's have the time to be posting on some random Internet forum, they got kids to worry about lol.

Windhook

As a coach, he coached a few midtable Croatian teams and then moved to Saudi Arabia for a few years.

2010 WC = hadn't qualify
2014 WC = group stage KO
===============
2018 WC = final

Croatian fans and media loved him after 2018, but some were asking whether he is good or the team was just good and played on autopilot.
On Euros 2021, Croatia played without Rakitic, Mandzukic, Vrsaljko and played way worse.
Now in 2022, a lot of fans were against him after 0:0 with Morocco and some questionable lineups. But after promoting to R of 16, fans and media are united again and now everyone loves him again.

Some of cons about him:
-- in Croatia you have rivalry between two biggest clubs: Dinamo zagreb from Capital and Northern part of Croatia and Hajduk Split from South (Mediterranean sea).
Dinamo is corrupted, something like Juve or Bayern. Refs and politics are on Zagreb's side.
But also, due to that criminal guy Mamic and good scouting, Dinamo is buying all the top youth Croatian talent, developing them well and selling to top clubs later. In the last 17 years, Zagreb has won 16 titles and played numerous times in Champions league and Europa league, winning against lots of famous clubs.
Some players coming from Dinamo's system are: Modric, Kovacic, Brozovic, Mandzukic, Vrsaljko, Kramaric, Livakovic, Kranjcar, Lovren, Vida, Olic, Biscan, Eduardo Da Silva, Gvardiol, Pjaca, Dani Olmo, Halilovic, Majer.
Yet, Dalic is from southern part and some fans and media claim that he plays too many players with southern roots (like Lucho with Barca's players in Spain).
A part of fans don't like attacking options where Dalic is preferring southern players with zero league titles and without the winning menatlity like Livaja, Vlasic, Pasalic over Dinamo Zagreb's attacking duo Petkovic-Orsic.
Orsic's problem is that he is a LW, and Croatian LW is Perisic, who is a monster player.
After Mandzukic retired and Rebic is banned from the NT team, Croatia often lacked attacking power with Perisic as a LW and average players at Cf and Rw, usually someone from Budimir, Livaja, Vlasic, Kramaric, Pasalic, Petkovic combo.
The thing is that Petkovic is kinda slow and somewhat lazy, but he can pull a wondergoal and crazy dribbles out of nowhere from time to time.
But his main strength is playing in pair with Orsic since they are playing for years as an attacking duo for Zagreb and won matches against Tottenham, Chelsea, West Ham lots of times, for example.
So, Petkovic is kinda lost without Orsic. And Orsic can't play due to LW Perisic. And then we have a slow, sterile attack consisted of lots of out-of-position players.
And then, since LW Perisic is one of the untouchables, Orsic usually gets only 3-10 per match in the dying minutes.
But even against Brazil, Croatia's equalizer came from Zagreb's Orsic-Petkovic combo Orsic-Petkovic. Orsic run, dribbled and assisted. Petkovic scored.

I would personally rate Dalic as 8/10 or 9/10 for Croatia. I would keep him for years.
But I am not too happy with attacking lineup and sometimes he is too late with subs, something like: how can you sub Modric? No one can tell Modric to go out, you just can't do that.

If you are asking about Dalic regarding future club football jobs, I would say: meh.
some coaches are just perfect for NT football and have good connections and understanding only with their domestic players.

He is fast down the left wing and his main skill is a wicked shot right footed strike from the edge of a box, something similar to Coutinho's shots.
If you check his goals, majority of his goals are exactly the same: he gets the ball on the left side at the edge of a box and you are dead.
But since Croatia lacks pace and shooting in the attack, he is by far the most dangerous shooter.

In short Dalic is the Croat version of Deschamps. Couldn't handle well day to day business of club football.

I know about Mamic. Seems like every country on the Balkans have this thug figure who runs football deals. Gigi Becali being the other crazy who comes to mind.:lol:

Temptation

2010 WC = hadn't qualify
2014 WC = group stage KO
===============
2018 WC = final

Some of cons about him:
Some players coming from Dinamo's system are: Modric, Kovacic, Brozovic, Mandzukic, Vrsaljko, Kramaric, Livakovic, Kranjcar, Lovren, Vida, Olic, Biscan, Eduardo Da Silva, Gvardiol, Pjaca, Dani Olmo, Halilovic, Majer.

Well all Spurs fans remember who Orsic is! :lol:

Fantastic post. Now I have a picture of the Football scene around the NT.

Perisic is one of the most clutch players around!! My favourite. Love his player profile.

Why was Rebic banned?

Are you from South or North Dynamo??

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Well all Spurs fans remember who Orsic is! :lol:

Fantastic post. Now I have a picture of the Football scene around the NT.

Perisic is one of the most clutch players around!! My favourite. Love his player profile.

Why was Rebic banned?

Are you from South or North Dynamo??

1. Rebic is a low IQ player. He got into fights with teammates, a coach, media, fans.
Whoever questions him, he replies angrily and makes stupid Instagram posts with stupid replies to journos and a NT coach.

2. I am from the North, so Zagreb's fan.

3. Perisic is also my favorite, a legend.
But the problem is that Croatia have 6-7 attacking players and the best 2 are BOTH LWs: Perisic and Orsic.
Other options for a Cf and Rw and Kramaric (6-7/10, Petkovic 7/10, Livaja 5/10, Budimir 5/10, Vlasic 7/10, Pasalic 5/10).
Majority of neutrals commented how Croatia has a good Gk, good defense and awesome midfield.
But meh attack except Perisic.
A lot of neutrals commented that we are slow and then we have this speedy-psycho-killer on the bench while snails like Kramaric always start.
Orsic's goal 3 Months ago vs Chelsea. He sacked BOTH Mourinho with a hattrick vs Tottenham and Tuchel with 1:0 win against Chelsea.
Look at his pace, how he pushes a defender while running (lol) and cold-blood execution after sprinting for 60-70 meters:

Orsic is Dalic's only sin.

JamDav1982

Robert Jarni.

Folk in Scotland loved him for some reason and would have made it into a lot of 'World 11s' if asked them back then.

No idea why and dont remember too much about him other than seemed to have a great left peg and scored a corker v Germany.

Kul_z

2010 WC = hadn't qualify
2014 WC = group stage KO
===============
2018 WC = final

Some of cons about him:
Some players coming from Dinamo's system are: Modric, Kovacic, Brozovic, Mandzukic, Vrsaljko, Kramaric, Livakovic, Kranjcar, Lovren, Vida, Olic, Corluka, Biscan, Eduardo Da Silva, Gvardiol, Pjaca, Dani Olmo, Halilovic, Majer.

I'd like to add that he's not stubborn to the bone, which is good thing for a manager.
Regarding Orsic, yes, dude is in best football years and i hope he plays more.
For now he striked good with cb partnership because lovren plays at required level, but a lot of croatians would like other cb partner to play with gvardiol and that might be crucial for argentina semi final tie, lovren can be hotheaded and wont surprise me that he'd be among those three that would be provoked the most if that leak from argies camp is true.
Overall i dont think dalic is capable of coaching out of this nt.

Home of Barca Fans