Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegitot

Think Xavi was overconfident this time. Still, the first goal happened cause Kounde could not intercept Bellingham's weak pass.

After that, simply disaster.

JohnN

We were used to mediocre coaches because we had stellar players. Many didn't realise this. of course a crap coach made the team worse and a better one made it better, but players pulled their weight and then some.
Even losing finished Busquets and Alba and having Mats out, made it clear this season. Also, Dembele when fit was the attacks plan A and B.
The whole team structure is non existent and the fundamentals are not there.
We will struggle for top 4.

FCBfan22

The only option is to sack him in next 14 days. However, I can't see this happening, unless we lose against both Betis and Villarreal (or crash out of Copa).

This team has no structure and no ideas. And with this rate, we will get a cold shower against Napoli and struggle to make top 4. It's time for a change.

Loki

I always defended Xavi, but yesterday was definetely the turning point for me. New Year and nothing changed. Yesterday's game was the cherry on the awful season since the start 5 months ago. We had like what, 2-3 decent wins in this period and every other win was forced in the end of the game, or just pray opponents don't score.
The team has difficulties to win any game, no matter the opponent. Even Almeria with 6 points after 20 games and 43 conceded goals gave us a fight till the end. It's a disastrous season so far. Without those last minutes goals, we would've been mid table where Koeman was, but he had a shit team as an excuse with 3rd division players. Xavi got transfers for like €300m and the team looks absolutely lost.
He should definetely continue until the end of season, because I doubt someone who could save this season is available right now, but I hope Laporta starts picking up his phone and ask around for next season.

edit: I personally think Xavi made a huge mistake giving his brother the assistant job. I don't have any insights of course, but looking at his brothers non existent CV and at the team's poor tactical display, it's clear to me Xavi lacks tactical help in his coaching staff. Guardiola always surround himself with tactical knowledge. In Barcelona with Tito Villanova, in Manchester with Arteta first and now I'm sure there's someone capable there as well. Xavi on the other hand surrounds himself with his brother to have nice family holidays. That could cost him his career in the end.

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

"It's a tough defeat but we have recovered from tough defeats many times before and we will compete again in the best possible way."

"We must be self-critical and correct a lot, but I still believe in the project and that can have a great season. We have to be very self-critical about our performance today.

"There are reasons to believe. We won two trophies last year with me as coach. It's not that long ago. Today was tough and I apologise to the fans, but there are arguments in our favour.

"I believe in the project, myself and in the players and that we can turn the situation around, starting Thursday against [Unionistas de] Salamanca.

Temptation

He's so naive tactically.

Playing a suicidal high line when he has no clue about how to organise a high press.

Real played a 442 variant(4312 with Bellingham behind the forwards) with Vini as the Left Striker and he tried to use Araujo at RB to stop that........

Organised the "press" in such an amateur way that Real had a completely unmarked attacker as an out-ball with no defenders even close to him. This meant that it was 3 vs 2 all the time with half the pitch to run into which is a death sentence against pacy, energetic players like Vini, Rodrygo and Jude.

If Xavi went pragmatic and maintained a slightly more balanced and lower block that'd automatically cancel out some of Vini's biggest strengths and offer the likes of Araujo more support and backup. In order to dominate big teams with a high line you need to be an expert in coaching high pressure and attacking patterns of play. Xavi and his staff are incompetent on both fronts. What did they expect lol?

In offense, Gundogan and Frenkie did decently in the buildup but when they broke the lines and got the ball to Pedri, he was absolutely pathetic with his back to goal and with the ball to his feet. All he did was run into traffic. You can't be a number 10/second striker if you shit the bed in the final third. Awful decision yet again by Xavi.

So fucking naive tactically. Ancelotti must be laughing in the dressing room after the game. Xavi gifted them the game within the first 5 minutes. It's almost like Xavi helped in getting the best out of Real Madrid's system.

FC B

Thank you Xavi, rooting for the opponent in each and every game from now on until you are fucking gone from this club.

Porque

Playing a suicidal high line when he has no clue about how to organise a high press.

Real played a 442 variant(4312 with Bellingham behind the forwards) with Vini as the Left Striker and he tried to use Araujo at RB to stop that........

Organised the "press" in such an amateur way that Real had a completely unmarked attacker as an out-ball with no defenders even close to him. This meant that it was 3 vs 2 all the time with half the pitch to run into which is a death sentence against pacy, energetic players like Vini, Rodrygo and Jude.

If Xavi went pragmatic and maintained a slightly more balanced and lower block that'd automatically cancel out some of Vini's biggest strengths and offer the likes of Araujo more support and backup. In order to dominate big teams with a high line you need to be an expert in coaching high pressure and attacking patterns of play. Xavi and his staff are incompetent on both fronts. What did they expect lol?

In offense, Gundogan and Frenkie did decently in the buildup but when they broke the lines and got the ball to Pedri, he was absolutely pathetic with his back to goal and with the ball to his feet. All he did was run into traffic. You can't be a number 10/second striker if you shit the bed in the final third. Awful decision yet again by Xavi.

So fucking naive tactically. Ancelotti must be laughing in the dressing room after the game. Xavi gifted them the game within the first 5 minutes. It's almost like Xavi helped in getting the best out of Real Madrid's system.

Good post. 2-0 in 10 minutes is going to change the complexion of the tie and completely nullify any tactical outset we had.

But as you say, tactics at the outset were a mess. It has been obvious this season that Madrid have switched their attack more centrally. So that it is better to place Araujo centrally than wide.

But I think this match was good for those who can see. From the first Madrid match of the season in October where Barcelona were actually very good for the majority of the match against the same setup (bar Nacho for Alaba), to today, we had actually regressed immensely.

I hope I'm wrong but I think Xavi has passed his peak and it is all downhill from here. 3rd/4th in the league, Copa exit in the Quarters or so, and out in Europe against either Napoli or the round after.

He has asked for signings (probably a midfielder) and been told none will come. His big money attacking addition doesn't seem to have initially convinced him, while the young youth striker he already has who scored 2 goals in 45 minutes has disappeared from opportunities, for whatever reason.

We will see how much pressure he is feeling by the lineup he plays versus Salamanca who are much inferior, but in good form and knocked out Villarreal so will have an air of hope.

Will he go full veteran? Or give a little more youthful impetus given how lacklustre our SuperCopa performances were with said veterans?

Raketa10

Yes Xavi is out of his depth here and I am the first one who thinks he can't turn things around. However, things are not that simple. It's not like there are 10 fantastic managers waiting to take over Barca right now. The easiest thing to do is to fire Xavi and than what? Who would replace him now? I sincerely hope people are not serious about Marquez taking over because he would probably be another bad experiment. This club needs stability and top manager with clear vision for the next 3-4 seasons. Therefore, we need to stop hiring managers like Setien, Koeman, Xavi etc...

IMHO the right thing to do is to hire a new long term solution in summer and not now. We simply can't afford to make another horrible mistake. Furthermore, we should start talks with potential new managers right now and only than make the right long term decision. Hence, I'd rather lose 6 months than another 2 years with another mediocre manager. Firing Xavi now would basically change nothing. We would be in a situation we were when we fired Valverde and that ended up horribly. Making harsh decisions without a clear plan B is foolish and risky.

Last edited:

Loki

That's what you get when you give the assistant job to your brother, so your mum is proud of you instead of to the most capable person with necessary tactical knowledge to help the coach out in different situations.

JamDav1982

Barca is jobs for the boys and the boards always think short term and never want to take tough decisions that may upset public.

For instance lets say Real had Pedri, Gavi and they thought too similar.. they would sell one and move on for better balance in midfield... Barca board.. never would.

Lets say Xabi Alonso gave word he would take job at some point... Barca wouldnt take him as he isnt club legend Xavi and has Real Madrid past.

Barca are run as a political entity to remain in power for as long as can rather than a proper business with decisions for long term good of club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans