Really?

5-1 vs Madrid wirhout Messi

Valverde era

Undefeated in league vs Real, Atletico, and other big teams

Post Valverde
0 wins

Where's the individual quality then?

Valverde made Lenglet look world class

I hope you're not trying to prove anything about our general performanec over three years by looking at... one game.

vegitot

Even if he started from the start, people would be happy with top4 place under Xavi as long as he plays youngsters and some rondos.

I am exaggerating, but you get the point.

For a lot of fans, deep down it's: I'll rather take the 3rd place and a somewhat nice football which reminds me of childhood Pep's days than the 1st place with anti-Barca football.

A simple test, if we could forsee a future, what would you take:
1. EV taking charge now, playing boring and ugly and winning a title
2. or Xavi playing exciting with 8 La Masia kids, matches which will often end in 3:3, but finishing 3rd or 4th in the end

I am not pointing fingers to JamDav but to regular Barca DNA hardcore fans like you and McLovin from the last few replies.

** I am not saying that EV would win a title.
This is just a theoretical question to point to true values of some fans.

Not titles but joyful football.

Cruyff already answered it years ago.

Result without style is boring but style without result is pointless.

You can take 1 year of style without result but if it is 3 or more years, you will take result.

vegitot

EV never faced a summer when Barca lost the best player of all time who along with Griezmann who between them scored/assisted 90 odd goals.

Had a better MATS, a fit Umtiti in first season, a younger Pique/Alba/Busi/Messi and Suarez who had won the CL two seasons before he took over even if Neymar had left. Let alone having utter garbage like Braithwaite and LDJ up top as is case now.

These past two seasons have been most turbulent in clubs history for a lot of reasons and not even remotely comparable to EV time in charge or realistic expectations for Xavi now.

He doesn't compare EV's time to Xavi now. It is between result but boring and style without result.

We don't know how EV can do with current squad and board, same to how Xavi can do with EV's squad. But we see someone took over the same EV's squad and made it hundred times worse.

serghei

He doesn't compare EV's time to Xavi now. It is between result but boring and style without result.

We don't know how EV can do with current squad and board, same to how Xavi can do with EV's squad. But we see someone took over the same EV's squad and made it hundred times worse.

A nice style without results is not nice automatically. It's nonsense here. It means you conceded a lot of goals, and you fail to score as much as needed.

So, my first problem is with the definition of what "nice football" means.

The key here is to provide results in relation to expectations and play entertaining football. EV would've been much more appreciated if he wasn't so crap and a huge bottle job in CL with a pretty good Barca team at the time.

He does compare EV back then to Xavi right now, even if he says he doesn't. That's the whole idea with his comment. EV was good 2.5 years ago, and now we suck because EV is not here anymore. Somewhere along that line.

Last edited:

vegitot

A nice style without results is not nice automatically. It's nonsense here. It means you conceded a lot of goals, and you fail to score as much as needed.

The key here is to provide results in relation to expectations. EV would've been much more appreciated if he wasn't so crap and a huge bottle job in CL.

Go read bbz post and see him compare between style but no tittle and tittle but with less attractive style.

Same stuff last season when you and many thought Koeman only needed to finish in top 4 and rebuild the team then when he lost to Granada, his life was over lol.

Go watch Cruyff's Dream team in his last two season (even from 1991-1994 when opponents could scrore 6 goals past Barca).

serghei

Go read bbz post and see him compare between style but no tittle and tittle but with less attractive style.

Same stuff last season when you and many thought Koeman only needed to finish in top 4 and rebuild the team then when he lost to Granada, his life was over lol.

Go watch Cruyff's Dream team in his last two season (even from 1991-1994 when opponents could scrore 6 goals past Barca).

Nobody likes style but no titles in medium to long term, or very very few do. The point of Barca is to win titles by playing entertaining football. The only thing that is different is the amount of time to get there may vary depending on the conditions at the club. But the objective should aways be that, and you should always see smaller or bigger steps in that direction.

This is why EV was a good stop-gap manager, but a mediocre medium-long term option. EV had a brilliant chance to make a name out of himself and become more than that, but he bottled it.

BBZ doesn't understand what some fans like to see at Barca. Winning is the most attractive thing in the world, so a losing style would never be entertaining or desirable for the majority of Cruyffists. Sure, realistic fans will accept some years of problems when the club is going through a rough patch, but, generally, the pressure is to create a top side and win big titles.

The only extra thing is most Barca fans don't like a "end justifies the means" approach. But if you win big titles, you don't have to play like Pep's Barca to have the support of the vast majority of Barca fans.

EV wasn't a winner though, someone who is famous for losing twice in CL after having big leads in the first leg is certainly not someone that gets the job done on the winning front. He was a mixed bag in that area.

Last edited:

vegitot

Nobody likes style but no titles in medium to long term, or very very few do. The point of Barca is to win titles by playing entertaining football. The only thing that is different is the amount of time to get there may vary depending on the conditions at the club. But the objective should aways be that, and you should always see smaller or bigger steps in that direction.

This is why EV was a good stop-gap manager, but a mediocre medium-long term option. EV had a brilliant chance to make a name out of himself and become more than that, but he bottled it.

He simply asked between tittles but less Barca DNA style and Barca DNA style but no tittle, which one should you go for.

Even if EV won the treble, he would still be hated by Barca fans. Because no DNA.

Bbz is right about one thing, if Xavi takes over from beginning, people will still talk about top 4 and say he will have several seasons to build the team. Let's say, if Koeman or other coaches fail to finish in top 4, he will be cursed forever but it won't happen to Xavi.

Not sure about Laporta cause i think he prefers other coaches over Xavi.

serghei

He simply asked between tittles but less Barca DNA style and Barca DNA style but no tittle, which one should you go for.

Even if EV won the treble, he would still be hated by Barca fans. Because no DNA.

Bbz is right about one thing, if Xavi takes over from beginning, people will still talk about top 4 and say he will have several seasons to build the team. Let's say, if Koeman or other coaches fail to finish in top 4, he will be cursed forever but it won't happen to Xavi.

Not sure about Laporta cause i think he prefers other coaches over Xavi.

:lol: Totally bullshit.

Many people myself included actually liked him until the Liverpool fiasco. That was the breaking point. That season up until Liverpool return leg was the finest period of EV.

After that he and the team were done.

To answer your question: titles with less Barca DNA is what nearly everyone would choose. Let me put it this way, EV doesn't bottle it vs Liverpool and he wins that CL and he's an acclaimed, respected manager in our history.

It was his big moment and he blew it.

Last edited:

vegitot

:lol: Totally bullshit.

Many people myself included actually liked him until the Liverpool fiasco. That was the breaking point. That season up until Liverpool return leg was the finest period of EV.

After that he was done.

Bullshit. Many hated him even before Rome. You can go back to EV thread.

serghei

Bullshit. Many hated him even before Rome. You can go back to EV thread.

Nah, the forum was pumped and speaking about the mighty treble that season until Liverpool return leg. Liverpool broke him imo. Of course he took a hit after the Roma fiasco, but the majority of fans were willing to count that as an accident. After he did it again even worse with Liverpool then it was all over.

vegitot

Nah, the forum was pumped and speaking about the mighty treble that season until Liverpool return leg. Liverpool broke him imo.

Several hated him even before Rome. Anfield is the fatal blow.

And even if he won UCL, he would still be hated. Everything wrong at that time were his faults, according to fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans