Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc_lovin

I prefer Diaz as well, but let's not pretend there were not quite a few good arguments going Ferrans way:
1) He's Spanish, chemistry with Pedri etc pp.
2) He's 3 years younger.
3) More prolific by the looks of it.
4) Payment structure (as mentioned already).

I don't think we will regret choosing Ferran over Diaz though (not that we had the choice). Both are pretty close. It's not like loosing Ronaldinho to a bum :p

jamrock

Xavi went in for Torres when he had very little understanding of the transfer market outside of spain & players than plays for the Spanish national team.

Only reason you spend what would be 65m on a player like him, that is not insignificant amount of money, he's good but he ain't nor is likely to ever be 65m euros good even if we win things with him in our team.

iniestaGOAT

Torres definitely wouldn't be doing better than Diaz for Liverpool than Diaz has been, nor is he better for us than diaz would be if we had gotten Diaz instead, because Diaz is simply a significantly better football player.

To say Torres would be playing better for Liverpool than he is for us, is not the measuring stick & just away to use words to make a point.

Diaz would be better than torres in any team, any setup, no level of function.

Torres was a half decent market opportunity that we overpaid for, but we are broke & city helped with how the structured the deal.

Torres wouldn't be doing better than Diaz at Liverpool.

But would Diaz be doing better than Torres here? Can he march those numbers put by Torres? Doubt it

We would still be outside top 4

mc_lovin

For one it's not exclusively his job.

And again, I don't think we could have afforded Diaz. No way Porto would have been okay with a long payment structure.

iniestaGOAT

Yes because he's a better player, that's pretty obvious.

No chance, there is a difference when you are pretty much third choice attacker and scoring few goals vs Ferrans situation at barca.

DIaz would melt and he still has proven nothing. We will see next season.

Barcilliant

People arguing about Torres vs Diaz are missing the whole point. Liverpool under Klopp are a complete animal. Yes, you need quality players but Klopp can take an average player and make him look good in a certain system. He knows how to create a team. Be it recruitment,tactics,man management, physical conditioning etc. All the bases are covered.
This is the era of the team collective, not the superstar. There are no more Rivaldos,Ronaldinhos and Messis around and even if there were we can't afford them. All of our teams have had great players who could bail the team out with one moment of quality. At the moment we don't have such a player. Some may point to Pedri but he's a midfielder and he's not going to be scoring 20 goals a season.
Xavi has had his honeymoon period and now he's struggling to take the team to the next level. When you are rebuilding a club you need a quality manager with a concrete plan and vision to execute and the ability to adapt.
I'm still not sold on Xavi. Yes, he needs time but the biggest red flag to me is his reluctance to part ways with the amigos. They are finished and should not be starting. We'll see if he gets replacements and what happens next season.
He doesn't look happy at the moment and a friend of mine said he would resign at the end of the season.

iniestaGOAT

People arguing about Torres vs Diaz are missing the whole point. Liverpool under Klopp are a complete animal. Yes, you need quality players but Klopp can take an average player and make him look good in a certain system. He knows how to create a team. Be it recruitment,tactics,man management, physical conditioning etc. All the bases are covered.
This is the era of the team collective, not the superstar. There are no more Rivaldos,Ronaldinhos and Messis around and even if there were we can't afford them. All of our teams have had great players who could bail the team out with one moment of quality. At the moment we don't have such a player. Some may point to Pedri but he's a midfielder and he's not going to be scoring 20 goals a season.
Xavi has had his honeymoon period and now he's struggling to take the team to the next level. When you are rebuilding a club you need a quality manager with a concrete plan and vision to execute and the ability to adapt.
I'm still not sold on Xavi. Yes, he needs time but the biggest red flag to me is his reluctance to part ways with the amigos. They are finished and should not be starting. We'll see if he gets replacements and what happens next season.
He doesn't look happy at the moment and a friend of mine said he would resign at the end of the season.

Only players we can replace the veterans with Ricky Poop and Mingueza and others like Abde cause the club cant sign anybody.

gasgas

Well Diaz can dribble, is fast and doesnt miss chances like torres does

JamDav1982

I already said that was the only choice he made that wasn't dictated by the club's finances being shit. Don't know what more you want. That's one. One player doesn't make a team. You need 5-6 Ferrans on several positions.

From DM down, that is DM + almost whole back 4 + Stegen, the only player that is for sure starter material near the level of the top 3-4 teams is Araujo. And even he still has a lot to learn on the ball and in terms of positioning. I still hold some hope for Dest but it's not looking all that great so far between injuries and inconsistency in form.

He chose to sign Torres when had money in winter and the club took in players to improve squad in a big way in comparison to other windows when losing better players and no planning with losing those players like Messi when coach had team built round him.

Far better situation than were in before when coach can choose a player worth tens of millions and club can sign him and other signings improve squad also massively.

Xavi wont look to replace Alba, Pique, Busquets with whatever they spend this summer they will all be starters next season unless they suddenly to retire or something unexpected.

Dest I cant see it and doubt Xavi rates him all that highly.

serghei

He chose to sign Torres when had money in winter and the club took in players to improve squad in a big way in comparison to other windows when losing better players and no planning with losing those players like Messi when coach had team built round him.

Far better situation than were in before when coach can choose a player worth tens of millions and club can sign him and other signings improve squad also massively.

Xavi wont look to replace Alba, Pique, Busquets with whatever they spend this summer they will all be starters next season unless they suddenly to retire or something unexpected.

Dest I cant see it and doubt Xavi rates him all that highly.

I guess we'll never know what would happen if we could spend big money to get top players. The club is low-budget, that's the reality of the situation.

mc_lovin

How come he finished 4th last year behind United? What about his first two Liverpool seasons? I just know guys like yourself would have hounded him out if he had similar first years at Barcelona.

People just expect way, way too much from Xavi right now. Get your expectations in order and let him work. He deserves time, we had a brilliant run to secure 2nd, something that seemed impossible a few months ago.

Recruitment is our biggest challenge now and it's ridiculous to whine about it already. Alemany did wonders in Winter as a friendly reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans