Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Lol,

The biggest trophies a team can win during a season season are Champions League, Premier League, and La Liga in this order.

By your logic United hasn't had a big success in like 10 years.

???? Man United haven't had a big success in 10 years. That's literally the whole thing about them for the last decade. Except winning the europa league tbf, although obviously not the main goal of a big club.

jamrock

Lol that's a weird ass way to look weigh those things.

Losing the copa SF, big failure, winning la Liga big success.

Putting way too much weight on a couple of those things & diminishing winning the league in what is still the 2nd best league in the world.

serghei

???? Man United haven't had a big success in 10 years. That's literally the whole thing about them for the last decade. Except winning the europa league tbf, although obviously not the main goal of a big club.

Ah, ok.

I have no problem then. It depends on how you view a good season.

For me any season where you win the league and you play in an elite one is a big success. Also won the Supercup vs Madrid in the final, so that's a bonus.

Biggest letdown was the CL stuff vs Inter.

Porque

I don't think anyone sane would say we should replace Xavi in the summer. We're not going to win the CL with him, but then we're unlikely to win the CL with any manager right now.

Winning the LaLiga so easily is great collateral, but a bit like when Valverde won it, the way we play puts a damper on it.

The group stage exit has been disastrous financially though. We absolutely have to reach the KO rounds next season. I'm not sure even the most feverish of Xavi fans could argue for him staying, if we repeat that for the third season in a row.

jamrock

If Madrid fails to win the CL this year, which is damn near impossible for them not to win it seems. Lol.

But if they fail to win it & only win the Copa, will a single solitary soul on the face of the planet or at Madrid say, we had a big success this season beating Barcelona 0-4 at the camp Nou?.

No because that's what the Copa del Rey is, in isolation it's worthless for a club of a certain stature, it's only a nice cherry on top.

serghei

I don't think anyone sane would say we should replace Xavi in the summer. We're not going to win the CL with him, but then we're unlikely to win the CL with any manager right now.

But winning the LaLiga so easily is great collateral.

The group stage exit has been disastrous financially though. We absolutely have to reach the KO rounds next season. I'm not sure even the most feverish of Xavi fans could argue for him staying, if we repeat that for the third season in a row.

Kid of low to consider Xavi responsible for first season in CL :lol:.

But true, next season going out in CL in group stages would be unacceptable. No problem with that, considering we will also be 1st seed most likely, so higher chances of having a better group.

jamrock

But true, next season going out in CL in group stages would be unacceptable. No problem with that, considering we will also be 1st seed most likely, so higher chances of having a better group.

Lol was about to say the same when I saw it, but porque is a rational poster.

But as far as I'm concerned this is Xavi's first season, whatever happens when he took over that shit show, doesn't count.

But I agree with him from the prospective that improvement needs to be shown in Europe next season.

serghei

Lol was about to say the same when I saw it, but porque is a rational poster.

But as far as I'm concerned this is Xavi's first season, whatever happens when he took over that shit show, doesn't count.

But I agree with him from the prospective that improvement needs to be shown in Europe next season.

Yeah, this season, I consider it an accident. New team with many new players, injury problems, terrible draw, shit refereeing away to Bayern and Inter with stonewall pens denied, Pique shitting the bed big time in the deciding game, and so on. Too many things were against us basically for me to rationally blame Xavi too much.

Next season I will be way more critical if we fuck up in CL again. Should get an easier group as a pot 1 team from winning the league, and the squad problems we have had this season should be resolved at least partially in the summer with 3-4 proper signings. Don't even have to be expensive players. Signing Gundogan for free basically would be an awesome transfer. To go from Roberto to Gundogan would be massive as far as CM upgrades go.

Xavi and the young players will also be more experienced by that time, with a Spanish La Liga under their belt, the first big title of this new Barca. Things are gonna be different imo.

Porque

Was talking of the club in general to go out three in a row.

Xavi had a shot to get the win against Benfica at home, so shares a responsibility to be fair. Although a very miniscule one as early days and squad was at bare bones (Demir started, had a good game and also hit the post right) iirc.

serghei

Copa is something, but it's a second tier trophy. Ultimately CL, then LL/league, are the two top priorities for any top team.

True, CL and La Liga are always the most important. And adding a Copa to one of the two becomes quite interesting. Supercopa is the least important and on it's own it doesn't mean much. As for EL, for a club like Barca it is always a reminder you weren't good enough to either qualify for CL or remain in it.

But in a bad season where you can't win anything, even an Europa League becomes important.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
League title will grant him goodwill and deservedly so, but we need to perform better in Europe next season. Another disastrous showing and he should be out.

serghei

League title will grant him goodwill and deservedly so, but we need to perform better in Europe next season. Another disastrous showing and he should be out.

We will, I have no doubt. That is gonna be next immediate step in our rebuild project. Use the confidence and experience to be gained from winning this league title and go back to becoming a difficult team to play against in Europe.

Horatio

You're welcome
If we want to go deeper in CL we need a reliable 9. Lewandowski was horrible in the group stage. Only impressive game was one against Inter at home. Screw the result he had against Plzen. And we need reliable central defending pairing. Pique stabbed us in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans