Yaya Toure

V

Valon

FV85001_actual13.JPG

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
A little disappointed that Pep tempered his compliment wrt Yaya in saying he was careless as well...Doesn't that sound a bit unfair?

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
Well, he is. He doesn't care about cards, he just shouts at the ref when the other team gets foul. Doesn't matter if it's correct or not.
Excellent perfomance last night, keep the good word YAHIA!

Pepe Silvia

Well, he is. He doesn't care about cards, he just shouts at the ref when the other team gets foul. Doesn't matter if it's correct or not.
Excellent perfomance last night, keep the good word YAHIA!
You can't call someone an animal and not expect animal instincts. I'd like to see where Pep calls him careless. The closest thing to careless with Yaya is his quick-touch back passes but while they are dangerous, they are very accurate. Maybe careless was the wrong choice of words.

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
You can't call someone an animal and not expect animal instincts. I'd like to see where Pep calls him careless. The closest thing to careless with Yaya is his quick-touch back passes but while they are dangerous, they are very accurate. Maybe careless was the wrong choice of words.
Very true but still, he needs to handle himself. Of course, it's less dangerous since we have awesome Sergi this season but with Xavi and him gone, he needs to stay quiet for some matches..

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
When hes on form he can give us an alternative to Xavi possession game and slow build-up. This guy gets the balls and heads to the goal. That direct game can be lethal especially in the CL. 2 of the 4 goals were counter attacks, something not common in barca football.
He had actually the most passes in the game (bar Alves) so he was the midfield passer + mister directness.

2ylvh90.png

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
According to the table most passes were made by Piqué. Yet, Yaya did boss the midfield.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Faaaaak, I meant indeed Piqué and not Alves. He was the one that had the same amount. (and alves is half of the time swinging in some crosses :D)

Pepe Silvia

No. He's far more useful as a DM. I think his accurate passing and techniques can definitely get him a nod for short-term midfield roles but in the long run his stature and dependability are far more impressive on defense.

iced1776

The thing is, Yaya used to have opportunities to move with the ball and distribute from the DM position, but last season Pep had him drop back much much deeper to add defensive cover when Alves made forward runs. This not only cuts out the chance for him to be creative, but its not the spot where he is most comfortable defending from. Yaya is in his beastliest form when he can play near the center circle, not back by our own box.

Pepe Silvia

The thing is, Yaya used to have opportunities to move with the ball and distribute from the DM position, but last season Pep had him drop back much much deeper to add defensive cover when Alves made forward runs. This not only cuts out the chance for him to be creative, but its not the spot where he is most comfortable defending from. Yaya is in his beastliest form when he can play near the center circle, not back by our own box.
His attacking prowess makes him suitable to move forward and distribute the ball to Xaviesta and to hold/regain possession and defend when he's called on to do so.

Him staying back is good when Alves makes his runs forward though. Afterall, I'd rather have Alves moving up pitch and providing those deadly crosses and Yaya (brick wall) helping Puyol and co and still providing a creative touch in the backfield. Yaya proves once again that he is capable of taking on so much more than defensive roles and why he was one of the key roles to our success last term.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
wow impressive work there. So can we conclude that CM Yaya >>> DM Yaya?

not really, the game was open as hell coz stuttgart came and had a go.

that almost never happens.

you mentioned that 2 of our goals were counter-attacks, and that just makes xavi's absence obvious. we won, and played well and such, but there was a touch of our usual swagger missing from the performance.

it's very nice to know that we can at least be solid without xavi, though. but I do worry how we'd fare creatively.

Home of Barca Fans