1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Vilarrubi

@ceefoo Of course, I think putting a 22 year old in net is way riskier than a 22 year old up front. Courtois has proved himself so maybe, but after last season we don't need risks.. just a solid keeper. For me Stegan doesn't have enough experience and pedigree to have proved himself a Barca standard player.. From 6th place in the Bundesliga with 9 clean sheets in 34 games to number 1 at Barca hoping for Champions league, League and Cup success.....

Vilarrubi

@Flavia I can't speak from experience of watching either but how do you justify 9 clean sheets in 34 games? For a Barca team who needs to tighten up at the back.. and Mönchengladbach can't be THAT BAD if they came 6th? How does his qualities outshine those stats?

mazp

@ceefoo Of course, I think putting a 22 year old in net is way riskier than a 22 year old up front. Courtois has proved himself so maybe, but after last season we don't need risks.. just a solid keeper. For me Stegan doesn't have enough experience and pedigree to have proved himself a Barca standard player.. From 6th place in the Bundesliga with 9 clean sheets in 34 games to number 1 at Barca hoping for Champions league, League and Cup success.....

I agree with you. We don't have time for anymore gambles.(we are already with Lucho) I would have taken Courtois in a second, the fact that Zubi said no thanks is mind boggling. The best GK in the world wants to come, and we say no thanks. Disappointing. If he fails this is all on Zubi. He should be fired.

Egert

Estonian Culé
@Flavia I can't speak from experience of watching either but how do you justify 9 clean sheets in 34 games? For a Barca team who needs to tighten up at the back.. and Mönchengladbach can't be THAT BAD if they came 6th? How does his qualities outshine those stats?

Ter Stegen made a lot of saves this season and he couldn't keep every shot away. You think Courtois would have done better with a defense like Borussia has?

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma

Clean sheet isn't only about a GK. It is a 50-50 thing. Depends on your back 4 equally. Please rewatch the season again keeping that point in mind and come back.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Bad defence? De Gea only had 3 more clean sheets than ter Stegen while playing for a supposedly much better team.

Vilarrubi

@DonAK Seriously Man Utd have been awful at the back this season! He still manages 3 more clean sheets.. Also why is everyone talking down Mönchengladbach? 6th place should be a very good team in my books..

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Thibaut Courtois won the Zamora trophy this year since he conceded the least goals(Goal to game ratio is used), but Keylor Navas was arguably still the best keeper this season, but since he conceded more goals, he didnt win it.

Chong Li

Awesome! Barca signs one of the best young keepers in the world and half the board is complaining! :(

Ter Stegen is (almost) as good as Neuer. He's already world class, the only thing lacking is experience.

Clearly better than Weidenfeller(BVB) or Zieler(H96), I really have no idea why Jogi Löw didn't call him up for the WC.

But it will be good for him (and Barca) to have a full pre-season.

And please no Pepe Reina as No2!!!

Vilarrubi

@Egert That's something we can only speculate on.. Although Atletico have been amazing at the back this season.. the times when they did get broken down Courtois was there to stop the shots and did an amazing job.. so who knows if he had a poorer defence would he have kept up that quality i think he would. BUT that has no relevance to Barca really because (hoping we sign some great defenders) we are looking to replicate Atletico's defence last season.. Solid at the back and when they DO get broken down a keeper like Courtois is there to stop those chances which has led him to the La Liga title and Champions League final.. he has experience in exactly what Barca want.. Although i do agree about his lack of passing ability i feel people are concentrating on that too much.. It's time Barca became solid at the back i'm sure as a professional footballer he can adapt and learn to pass to his defenders.

Alarcón

No offence to the guy.. but Barca cannot have him number 1.. 9 clean sheets in 34 games in Germany. Bundesliga is not a high goal scoring league either compared to La Liga or BPL for example. Hopefully when they posted the update about a week ago with Pinto out, Stegan in they were referring to him replacing the number 2 keeper's role.

I'm sure you are the real Vilarrubí

Home of Barca Fans