1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

xavi_the_Boss

I agree with you. We don't have time for anymore gambles.(we are already with Lucho) I would have taken Courtois in a second, the fact that Zubi said no thanks is mind boggling. The best GK in the world wants to come, and we say no thanks. Disappointing. If he fails this is all on Zubi. He should be fired.

How is Ter Stegen a gamble but Courtois isn´t?
Barca is a totally different Team compared to atleti in the way they Play and i think Ter Stegen is a better fit for barca.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
@Egert That's something we can only speculate on.. Although Atletico have been amazing at the back this season.. the times when they did get broken down Courtois was there to stop the shots and did an amazing job.. so who knows if he had a poorer defence would he have kept up that quality i think he would. BUT that has no relevance to Barca really because (hoping we sign some great defenders) we are looking to replicate Atletico's defence last season.. Solid at the back and when they DO get broken down a keeper like Courtois is there to stop those chances which has led him to the La Liga title and Champions League final.. he has experience in exactly what Barca want.. Although i do agree about his lack of passing ability i feel people are concentrating on that too much.. It's time Barca became solid at the back i'm sure as a professional footballer he can adapt and learn to pass to his defenders.

Courtois playing style suits teams like Atletico and Chelsea to perfection, but do you know why he has done so well at Atletico and developed to be a top class GK? It's because he was regarded as a big talent and got the chance to prove it by getting to play and be their #1 GK.

Why won't you want Barca to do the same with ter Stegen? A young GK won't learn much by warming the bench an entire season just because the club is afraid of losing trophies. If you want to win trophies then you have to have a solid team who is capable of competing for titles and if we do well in this transfer window and Lucho sets his stamp on the team then we will challenge for trophies. Ter Stegen has played in pressure matches before as well versus Bayern M and done exceptionally well, but it's of course another thing to play for a big club like Barcelona, but in order for him to succeed, you need to give him the chance to prove himself, you need to take the risk(if you call it a risk) to give him a fair chance.

mazp

How is Ter Stegen a gamble but Courtois isn´t?
Barca is a totally different Team compared to atleti in the way they Play and i think Ter Stegen is a better fit for barca.

I don't care. He's the best GK in the world. Call me crazy, but when the best player at any position (GK,ST, CB,) wants to come and we say no. That's just plain stupid. IMO.

JamDav1982

I don't care. He's the best GK in the world. Call me crazy, but when the best player at any position (GK,ST, CB,) wants to come and we say no. That's just plain stupid. IMO.

Its not that simple.

Do you think Chelsea just say 'fair play he wants to go'?

They would have wanted huge money for him.

The way some people act as if Barca are entitled to all the top players in the world is not living in reality.

zanela

@Egert That's something we can only speculate on.. Although Atletico have been amazing at the back this season.. the times when they did get broken down Courtois was there to stop the shots and did an amazing job.. so who knows if he had a poorer defence would he have kept up that quality i think he would. BUT that has no relevance to Barca really because (hoping we sign some great defenders) we are looking to replicate Atletico's defence last season.. Solid at the back and when they DO get broken down a keeper like Courtois is there to stop those chances which has led him to the La Liga title and Champions League final.. he has experience in exactly what Barca want.. Although i do agree about his lack of passing ability i feel people are concentrating on that too much.. It's time Barca became solid at the back i'm sure as a professional footballer he can adapt and learn to pass to his defenders.

What do you think of Courtois performance against Malaga and Levante, both times when he had to play behind a high-line defense? For supposedly the best gk in the world, he looked quite ordinary. And here at barca, he'll 've to face that weekly. Waiting inside your lines to check any defensive breach, alone won't cut it.

Courtois wanting to come has li'l relevance without his employer's approval. People making it look like Chelsea fc doesn't exist in the equation. If they were hesitant to let Courtois face them in CL in a Atleti shirt. Why would they allow him to join a more fierce CL rival?

DonAK

What do you think of Courtois performance against Malaga and Levante, both times when he had to play behind a high-line defense? For supposedly the best gk in the world, he looked quite ordinary. And here at barca, he'll 've to face that weekly. Waiting inside your lines to check any defensive breach, alone won't cut it.

Courtois wanting to come has li'l relevance without his employer's approval. People making it look like Chelsea fc doesn't exist in the equation. If they were hesitant to let Courtois face them in CL. Why would they allow him to join a more fierce CL rival?

Mourinho would probably even sell him for peanuts to another club even if we offer a lot in spite of Barca lol.

Cule4life

The Culest
@Flavia I can't speak from experience of watching either but how do you justify 9 clean sheets in 34 games? For a Barca team who needs to tighten up at the back.. and Mönchengladbach can't be THAT BAD if they came 6th? How does his qualities outshine those stats?

Are you one of those journalists who were asking questions about Courtois in MAtS' press conference? Or are you Villarubi himself who seems to be using his power over the media to push his Courtois agenda as he feels jilted by zubi not bringing his golden boy to Barca?

Vilarrubi

@DonAK @xavi_the_Boss Honestly Barca's 60%-70% possession every game is mostly the midfield.. it hardly ever goes back to the keeper and WHEN it does i'm pretty sure Courtois knows how to pass it back out.. Why are we talking Courtois down so much like he can't pass a ball? 9/10 would say that Courtois has been the best keeper in the world this season.. @DonAK Agreed all successful players are given that opportunity to show how good they are.. are Barca in a position to do that at the moment? Give a keeper a chance in hope he will do well.. Also for every player thats given a chance there's another 20 who fail

mazp

Its not that simple.

Do you think Chelsea just say 'fair play he wants to go'?

They would have wanted huge money for him.

The way some people act as if Barca are entitled to all the top players in the world is not living in reality.

Courtois by all accounts had a personal deal agreed with one of the board members. Which was confirmed by graham hunter on twitter. Apparently, he and Mou don't get along, so he would have handed in a transfer request. When did I say we're entitled to all the best players? If a player who just happens to be the best at his position, which just happens to be a position that Barca need and we say no, again it's just stupid and raises a lot of questions mainly on Zubi.

Vilarrubi

@zanela Seriously are you picking faults over the keeper with the best European record this season? vs someone with 9 clean sheets in 34 games.. I think what Courtois has achieved this season slightly outweighs mistakes against Malaga and Levante.

Butaan4barca

Courtois by all accounts had a personal deal agreed with one of the board members. Which was confirmed by graham hunter on twitter. Apparently, he and Mou don't get along, so he would have handed in a transfer request. When did I say we're entitled to all the best players? If a player who just happens to be the best at his position, which just happens to be a position that Barca need and we say no, again it's just stupid and raises a lot of questions mainly on Zubi.

its not stupid, Overall Mats fitted our system.

DonAK

Rooney handed in a transfer request. He must enjoying his move to PSG..... or was it Madrid? Or was it......

Nope. Still at Man Utd. Personal deal's are nothing, nothing at all. It's just simply saying, 'yes, I would love to join Barcelona!'. You'd still have to deal with the club he belongs to and the club he belongs to and the manager of that club makes it incredibly difficult and next to impossible to get him. Add to that how rather unconvincing he has been when he has had to play behind a high-line defence which Zanela pointed out.

It's not 2+2 = 4 and everything is all well. You need to look at the player and whether he fits in. If he does, then you can take the next step and try to persuade him to join, if that's fine, then you do the most difficult part which is persuading his club to sell him to us. 2/3 of these factors go against Thibaut Courtois to FC Barcelona.

Your post about that if the best GK, Defender, Midfielder, Striker want the move then we should get them at all cost. Cesc Fabregas was by far one of the best players in the Premier League and yet he has left too much to be desired in Barcelona, even though you could perhaps argue that he deserves a better chance to show himself, but that's another issue.

Cule4life

The Culest
So zubi makes a first good transfer after god knows how long and people are......complaining?

Maybe zubi isnt as bad as people think and its the board where the true rot lies.....

Cant believe im saying this but im #TeamZubi on this one......Yeah i said it

DonAK

@zanela Seriously are you picking faults over the keeper with the best European record this season? vs someone with 9 clean sheets in 34 games.. I think what Courtois has achieved this season slightly outweighs mistakes against Malaga and Levante.

Courtois is a fantastic keeper, world class, and Ter Stegen need to show that he belongs to the same class as him and many others and NEED to be given the chance to show that, but you're emphasising waaaaaaaaaay too much on clean sheets.

Home of Barca Fans