1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Barcafan 2304

alright almighty tactical genius please enlighten us what you think the best position for MaTS should have been when Florenzi got the ball in his own half and our defense was near the halfway line? On his goal line?

I'll assume you were under the influence while posting this. Either that or you have no perspective of how fast the ball was coming and dipping. MaTS would have to be superman to get even a hand on that ball. And all you keep in mind that this is a keeper that we won a CL and Copa with last season

Please! We all know Bravo would have gone "You Shall Not PASS!!" on that shot and it would have stopped dead in the air

Not saying I'm a tactical genius but if you think being beaten twice from the halfway line is acceptable then it says a lot more about your knowledge of the game. It's quite simple really, if he has been beaten twice from that range in a short space of time from the halfway line then HE is doing something wrong. Engage your brain next time, you don't have to be a tactical genius to work it out

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
The goals were totally different. MAtS made a stupid mistake against Bilbao and got caught but yesterday it was a really small mistake at max. No big blunder.

F

Flavia

Not saying I'm a tactical genius but if you think being beaten twice from the halfway line is acceptable then it says a lot more about your knowledge of the game. It's quite simple really, if he has been beaten twice from that range in a short space of time from the halfway line then HE is doing something wrong. Engage your brain next time, you don't have to be a tactical genius to work it out
So Oliver Khan also hasn't been engaging his brain, as he was asked and said it wasn't mats fault.

Barcafan 2304

So Oliver Khan also hasn't been engaging his brain, as he was asked and said it wasn't mats fault.

And so? I keep repeating myself but the principle applies. Kahn is a fellow German maybe he is trying to protect or defend him but I'm failing to see why people are getting bent out of shape when some people like me criticise Stegen for this. He has made the same error TWICE in five weeks and like I've said before, any keeper who gets beat from the halfway line is culpable.

F

Flavia

And so? I keep repeating myself but the principle applies. Kahn is a fellow German maybe he is trying to protect or defend him but I'm failing to see why people are getting bent out of shape when some people like me criticise Stegen for this. He has made the same error TWICE in five weeks and like I've said before, any keeper who gets beat from the halfway line is culpable.

He didn't make any error this time. Unless you want Barça to change the way the defense plays, and start defending deep, instead of with a high line.

I'd like to know whick gk would expect an accurate shot from where this one came from.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Q: How to not concede from halfway line?

A: Pray the shot is not so once in a lifetime awesome.

I'm sure MatS will keep the prayers into his practices in order to become a better GK.

Barcafan 2304

He didn't make any error this time. Unless you want Barça to change the way the defense plays, and start defending deep, instead of with a high line.

I'd like to know whick gk would expect an accurate shot from where this one came from.

And you think there is nothing wrong with this happening twice in a short space of time? People using tactics as an excuse here. He is a keeper and he should sure as hell not be getting beaten from the halfway line twice. To make that mistake once is forgivable but twice smacks of something seriously wrong

xavi_the_Boss

[tw]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">5 - 5 of the last 6 goals conceded by FC Barcelona from outside the box have been conceded by Ter Stegen (all comp.) <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UCL?src=hash">#UCL</a>. Trend</p>— OptaJose (@OptaJose) <a href="https://twitter.com/OptaJose/status/644234373244538880">16. September 2015</a></blockquote>[/tw]

barcanuck

I was mad at him when the goal happened but it's one of those things. Teams are going to try that more and more since they saw Bilbao do it. 2 in a month is alot though.

F

Flavia

And you think there is nothing wrong with this happening twice in a short space of time? People using tactics as an excuse here. He is a keeper and he should sure as hell not be getting beaten from the halfway line twice. To make that mistake once is forgivable but twice smacks of something seriously wrong

Vs athletic it was his fault, although it takes a good amount of luck to hit that shot right. Yesterday it was luck, the shot came from the side, not the center of the field. Mats was around the penalty spot yesterday, the place our keepers usually stay when the ball is on the midfield. The only way to change that is changing everything. Almost happened with Bravo for the same reason, our gk's do not stay in the goal line.

[vine]https://vine.co/v/eUebMXDIPWx[/vine]

Vs athletic it was his fault, although it takes a good amount of luck to hit that shot right. Yesterday it was luck, the shot came from the side, not the center of the field. Mats was around the penalty spot yesterday, the place our keepers usually stay when the ball is on the midfield. The only way to change that is changing everything. Almost happened with Bravo for the same reason, our gk's do not stay in the goal line.

This. The overreactions are disheartening.

zanela

This thread is migraine-inducing.

Since we want to discredit the opinion of a former Gk great based on his nationality, has there been an actual and a credible sport journo/analyst (and by that I don't mean catalan tabloid writers) who 've laid the blame on the keeper for the goal? Just curious like.

Constructive criticism is fine et al, but constant ridicule and castigation of the player because of personal dislike is unacceptable. So is throwing around words like 'shameful'. Are we evaluating an athlete's performance in the context of a match, or off-pitch misdemeanors here?

And since one poster talked about critically analyzing a performance. There was a lot of good things he did. For a start, his passing looked a lot closer to what he's capable of, defused couple of counters with early interventions, released the pressure off his teammates by finding them when pressed high by the opponent, one instance being the one-touch lob right after that goal. All crucial in my book. But being a Barca goalie is a thankless job.

I think we can agree MAtS tends to be lackadaisical at times, not something that can't be ironed out with time. Some of his higher rated peers have had their embarrassing moments, even frequently, and that while playing more regularly and sans pressure of losing their spot. I doubt they had be any better in a system that exposes the keeper like no other.

Home of Barca Fans