1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Alik

Vs athletic it was his fault, although it takes a good amount of luck to hit that shot right. Yesterday it was luck, the shot came from the side, not the center of the field. Mats was around the penalty spot yesterday, the place our keepers usually stay when the ball is on the midfield. The only way to change that is changing everything. Almost happened with Bravo for the same reason, our gk's do not stay in the goal line.

[vine]https://vine.co/v/eUebMXDIPWx[/vine]

I don't mind criticizing Mats and have done it before. I was ready to do it again but looking at that gif, I can't really blame him. He wasn't at an unreasonable distance from goal. It was just a really good shot.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
I don't mind criticizing Mats and have done it before. I was ready to do it again but looking at that gif, I can't really blame him. He wasn't at an unreasonable distance from goal. It was just a really good shot.

plus look at the height of the ball before it reaches the goal. The dip at the end was insane

Barcafan 2304

This thread is migraine-inducing.

Since we want to discredit the opinion of a former Gk great based on his nationality, has there been an actual and a credible sport journo/analyst (and by that I don't mean catalan tabloid writers) who 've laid the blame on the keeper for the goal? Just curious like.

Constructive criticism is fine et al, but constant ridicule and castigation of the player because of personal dislike is unacceptable. So is throwing around words like 'shameful'. Are we evaluating an athlete's performance in the context of a match, or off-pitch misdemeanors here?

And since one poster talked about critically analyzing a performance. There was a lot of good things he did. For a start, his passing looked a lot closer to what he's capable of, defused couple of counters with early interventions, released the pressure off his teammates by finding them when pressed high by the opponent, one instance being the one-touch lob right after that goal. All crucial in my book. But being a Barca goalie is a thankless job.

I think we can agree MAtS tends to be lackadaisical at times, not something that can't be ironed out with time. Some of his higher rated peers have had their embarrassing moments, even frequently, and that while playing more regularly and sans pressure of losing their spot. I doubt they had be any better in a system that exposes the keeper like no other.

And seeing as that certain poster is me, what's wrong with criticising a player? We criticise a lot of players and even deride them, particularly from other clubs and I have see you do that on a number of occasions down the years to. But we can't do that here? Even if he has made a big error TWICE in the same manner recently? I give praise where it's due but it works both ways and if a player can be praised, he can also be criticised to when he makes an error. Hell, last year, I praised (maybe not so much on here cos I only come on fleetingly) MAtS for his role in the CL run but here, like I have said, he has made these errors therefore he can be critiqued. I ain't going to apologise or made to feel there is anything wrong with that and if you don't like it, tough.

Barcafan 2304

Any way, I'm going in circles in this thread. Said my piece so moving on. It is indeed migraine inducing to have to defend having the temerity to critique a player to those who have a strange belief that players are beyond reproach.

zanela

And seeing as that certain poster is me, what's wrong with criticising a player? We criticise a lot of players and even deride them, particularly from other clubs and I have see you do that on a number of occasions down the years to. But we can't do that here? Even if he has made a big error TWICE in the same manner recently? I give praise where it's due but it works both ways and if a player can be praised, he can also be criticised to when he makes an error. Hell, last year, I praised (maybe not so much on here cos I only come on fleetingly) MAtS for his role in the CL run but here, like I have said, he has made these errors therefore he can be critiqued. I ain't going to apologise or made to feel there is anything wrong with that and if you don't like it, tough.

Much of my post was directed to the usual suspects who have already written him off, and bash him at anything they can get. I don't even need to mention them.

Where I do have a prob with your post is your disregard for the opinion of a legend, a player who knows a thing or two about g.keeping. And then your choice of words seemed more like venting of frustration over a disappointing result rather than objective criticism.

I wouldn't put down the last night's goal as a keeper error, let alone a big one. Although he did have a part to play in the Bilbao. The problem seems to be that some posters are unable to separate the two incidents (same outcome but diff. specifics)

Last edited:
F

Flavia

He didn't make an error yesterday, and that's why many, like myself, are arguing your point. There's no problem in criticizing players.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
His starting position was fine but he was sleeping and could have saved if he didn't just waddle about.

And the Bilbao goal was a disaster. Players can score goals from that distance if the keeper is sleeping, it wasn't just bad luck/once in a lifetime goal.

I rate ter Stegen and think he needs time and experience to be a consistent player like bravo, but he should be blamed for something that is his fault.

Chainsaw

Killahead
The blame for the last night's goal goes to...the ball.

Why you go sooo good into an empty net?? So unfair. Poor MatS.

BTW, I am still waiting for the replay that shows MatS was near the 6 yard box when Florenzi took the shot.

IamGundogan

:lol: :lol: meltdown!

Calm down people, seems like no one outside of this forum blames Ter Stegen for that goal. Surprised by how many people are having a go at him in this thread.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
:lol: :lol: meltdown!

Calm down people, seems like no one outside of this forum blames Ter Stegen for that goal. Surprised by how many people are having a go at him in this thread.

Like I said yesterday, but hey, we gotta crucify our players, it's like eating breakfast or having a cup of coffee in the morning. Can't do without either.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Yeah let's end this, this thread is lost anyway. A GK legend defended MatS so he's 'definitely' had no hand on the goal.

serghei

I think Stegen's most ardent fans should admit his mistake and those who don't like him at all should also admit that it can happen to everyone at some point.

El Flaco

NO!!! Mats will die! Here and now!!
What a construcktive post from you...
Sorry tactical genius but again, once is unlucky, twice points to something amiss.

We can rightfully balme Ter Stegen (when he didn't catched the ball in his penalty area insteas of head it away) when San José's made his goal.

But in this case, even Lucho said MaTS should be the scapegoat of Florenzi's goal.

[tw]644259127917715456[/tw]

"Barca's goalkeeper has to play like that [high line] because I order it. If there's someone to blame for [Florenzi's goal] then it's me"

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
What a construcktive post from you...

We can rightfully balme Ter Stegen (when he didn't catched the ball in his penalty area insteas of head it away) when San José's made his goal.

But in this case, even Lucho said MaTS should be the scapegoat of Florenzi's goal.

[tw]644259127917715456[/tw]

"Barca's goalkeeper has to play like that [high line] because I order it. If there's someone to blame for [Florenzi's goal] then it's me"

Lol, that's not what he's saying. Lucho is taking the blame here.

Home of Barca Fans