1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

diDi7

His attempt to make a save was almost non-existent. The ball travelled for about 4 to 5 seconds before it got in, and in that time, his movements were chaotic and not at all coordinated. He didn't even know were he was in relation to the goal. In short, he was cought cold, unprepared and not ready to make a save. That's his goal imho, because of that. He should be thankful that it happened at a good time, when things can be fixed without many troubles. If he did that in a CL semifinal for example, the reactions would have been ten times worse, and rightfully so.

That being said, he was excellent except for that unfortunate moment. He is young and has a bright future, but he does make mistakes. And one of the ways he could fix those mistakes is to realise them first, not act like he did nothing wrong and blame those things on bad luck. It's no coincidence that he received two goals from 50m in a month.

Okay, so now we have two ways of looking at this. Firstly, do you think his initial position has to do with Lucho's tactics? If it does, one COULD partly blame Lucho for the goal. Second, if it were up to you, where would you have stood at the time of that happening? Remember, Florenzi was deep on the side of the pitch where the defence should have cut out any intention of him trying to distribute the ball forward.

I'm going to look at the goal again from multiple angles and come back after observing a bit more. I think this goal and it's blame goes into much more of a grey area than most people are making it out to be.

F

Flavia

Bravo's situation is very very different. A keeper is not supposed to expect danger when a team mate (not to mention someone like Busquets) has the ball and is not under any pressure. It's almost as if Busquets took that shot towards Bravo's goal.

It really is not different, at all. A keeper also doesn't expect danger from the midfield, or the sideline. Possession can be lost too, it happens, even if it's Busi. It's rare, but it's not even as rare as a shot like Florenzi's going in. Hence why there's absolutely no difference. Both MAtS and Bravo were positioned as instructed by the coaches.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
The arguments being bandied about here get more and more absurd by the day. By the usual suspects too.

serghei

It really is not different, at all. A keeper also doesn't expect danger from the midfield, or the sideline. Possession can be lost too, it happens, even if it's Busi. It's rare, but it's not even as rare as a shot like Florenzi's going in. Hence why there's absolutely no difference. Both MAtS and Bravo were positioned as instructed by the coaches.

OK. Let's just leave it at that then. For me, I can accept that the keeper is more relaxed when our team is in possession. It is different when the team is defending and the other team is in control.

El Flaco

I think you forgot to add the "n't" to should there, which is causing this confusion.

Thought it was obvious. But yeah I forgot to mention it.
However, I wasn't even talking about regarding when Lucho took the blame in my previous discussion.

diDi7

Okay, so now we have two ways of looking at this. Firstly, do you think his initial position has to do with Lucho's tactics? If it does, one COULD partly blame Lucho for the goal. Second, if it were up to you, where would you have stood at the time of that happening? Remember, Florenzi was deep on the side of the pitch where the defence should have cut out any intention of him trying to distribute the ball forward.

I'm going to look at the goal again from multiple angles and come back after observing a bit more. I think this goal and it's blame goes into much more of a grey area than most people are making it out to be.

Alright so I've looked at the goal and the first thing I have to ask of you is not to make up numbers. That ball traveled around 2.5-3 seconds real time before it went it. Did you perhaps recollect what you saw in slow motion?

What I saw is this: Florenzi wasn't put under enough pressure. Ter Stegen was off his line. Florenzi saw an opportunity. Ter Stegen anticipated, at the most, a pass to the front middle. He then sees the ball swerving towards him. Some of that very short 3 seconds are already gone. Now he has to run back as well as keeping his eyes on the ball AND keeping positional awareness of where the goal is. He then determines the ball is either going out, or he won't beat the velocity with which the ball is travelling. Between these two possible realizations, the ball goes in off the far post.

What more can be said? I do think he was unlucky in this instance. Shoot 100 times under from the half way line or the side of the pitch, under normal amounts of defensive pressure, and see how many of those shots go in. It was a remarkable shot and the minor mistakes that MAtS did make weren't as crucial to the goal that many are trying to argue.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Thought it was obvious. But yeah I forgot to mention it.
However, I wasn't even talking about regarding when Lucho took the blame in my previous discussion.

You have a history of shit stirring, I guess I just had that in mind. We agree then, although I still think MAtS was slightly at fault for his positioning and lack of effort in trying to save it. Let's hope he learns from this.

aaron101

On the other hand.. it's pretty weird feeling that our young promising and developing GK has already won a Treble while playing for those 2 cups. It's weird but I love it!

I really don't care if the goal was his mistake or not. What matters the most is he needed that experience in order to improve. It's only going to make him a better GK.

serghei

I'd like to think my posts are neither one-liners nor standard, you must be confused.

They've certainly showed "the ability" to be those things. Like the "usual suspects" remark, which tries to bring zero arguments into the discussion. What is the point of that post other than to stir things up with a half-baked idea?

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
They've certainly showed "the ability" to be those things. Like the "usual suspects" remark, which tries to bring zero arguments into the discussion. What is the point of that post other than to stir things up with a half-baked idea?

You seem to be including yourself in that group. Do you know something I don't?

khaled_a_d

I am not sure what to think of this
On one hand , I can't blame him for the positioning this time .he wasn't that far from goal for a play in the half half of the pitch .but his reaction was a bit slow .
But MATS need to calm down a bit about this sweeper GK ,not just in this play but many times he seem play away from goal further than any GK we ever had whether it was VV,Bravo or even Pinto .

few notes
1-Barca fans aren't the only ones who criticize him like some people here was saying ,in fact it seem we are the only one defending him .kid has been trolled all over the internet .there is a reason why Pique used twitter to go on public defending him
2-Lucho/Pique/Kahn would never talk bad about him ,I do get the discussion that it isn't his fault and I am leaning to it but what they say could mean a little since they are protecting him .he is playing for their club/NT .what they say isn't really unbiased
3-Day by day it seem that MATS is gonna be _just like Valdes_ the GK that Barca fans rate way higher than fans world wide .and right now it also seem that Bravo has cemented his place as Barca best GK n the mind of fans
4-In general I think MATS has gr8 future ,this mistakes is no judgement of how good he is .and even b4 we signed him he was known of being mistake prone .he is 23 which is still young for a GK and he can easily fix those mistakes .
Day after day I admire what we did in 2014 ,signing a GK for the future and someone for the present

Nicky86

Ter Stegen is a Goal Keeper that is good for Barca styles, because he is able to play with leg very good and he make a good saves, sometimes brilliant saves like that against Lewa in CHL.
Furthermore, he is yang GK and Barca should give him chance to improve and hance his career in higher level then he is.

Home of Barca Fans