1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone, my first post here.

Regarding the goal conceded to Roma, I want to say the point is not Ter Stegen made a mistake or not. Everyone makes mistakes. A football match is not won or lost by a single player. He's not solely blamed for the 2 points dropped.

The thing concerns me is rather if he tried hard enough to save it. He should sprint back and, no matter how far away his position from the shot, try to stretch his body to reach it. That's the way I expect a professional goalkeeper to do. Try to save every shot potentially threatening the goal.

That said, I really don't like a keeper doesn't react to a shot on goal at all. A keeper may have his own judgement: The shot is too good. I won't reach it anyway. So I am just standing still to watch the ball crossing the goal line. No, no way. No matter how great the shot is, how slow the time you react, how you think the shot will 100% goes in, I demand you to make the save even it looks like you are well beaten by the shot, which of course doesn't look cool for a keeper. But this is exactly what a keeper should do because it's the only way by which others could judge a keeper that he actually tried.

In Ter Stegen's case, clearly he didn't. His initial position may be off. His judgement may be wrong. All doesn't matter. He should try to make the save. The ball might just go in anyway, but at least, Marc, I know you tried your best.

Hey, welcome to the fourm! I agree with most of what you said. Mistake or not, he should have reacted somehow instead of giving up that soon.

dakt

Bravo for Stegen. No seriously, I feel much safer with Bravo on the goal. It's not that Stegen doesn't have qualities, it's just that it's maybe too early for him.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He had a success rate of almost 100% at Gladbach when he came out to collect crosses. I don't know what's happening, but he need to go back to what he was doing back then.

Anyway, this isn't a major issue. DDG was flapping at crosses in his first couple of seasons at Man Utd too, but the strange thing is that tS was very good at this before he came to Barca(contrary to DDG who was a bit suspect at this at Atletico) so a bit worrying if he's deteriorating in that aspect now.

Last edited:

serghei

His confidence is low atm, but with time, he'll get better and he'll eliminate these silly mistakes from his game. Bravo is no1 for sure though, that much should be clear.

Home of Barca Fans