1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Bobo32

The stats you provided covered from the beginning of the career, which honestly doesn't matter to me as it's the present and the future that we should be focusing on.

MATS has been underwhelming for the 19/20 and the 20/21 season and with his injuries, questions need to be asked.

IMO, currently Martinez is a better overall GK than MATS. Stats is not everything, but Martinez has been voted as the best GK in the top 5 European league by Whoscored for this season. To do that in a non-CL club, that is impressive for me. He also proven himself with Arsenal in that FA Cup run vs Man City and Chelsea and with Argentina.

https://www.whoscored.com/Statistics

Well it's great, then Barcelona can buy this soon-to-be-30-year-old this year, and next year they can buy the one who is voted as the best GK that year...
Two seasons ago, he seemed to struggle to take the shirt from finnish keeper Anssi Jakkola when he was at Reading on loan, and on his previous loan spell at Getafe, he couldn't take the shirt off Vicente Guaita. Maybe he was very underrated back then at both those clubs, and also when he was at Wolves and got benched by Carl Ikeme, and he is actually a very great keeper. He has had one season where he played 20 games or more, so I guess it remains to be seen, no matter what whoscored thinks about that season.

I previously posted a comparison of the last season, where Marc Andre ter Stegen beat Neuer, Donnarumma, Mendy and de Gea on save percentage. His save percentage last season of 71.6 is respectable, even though it is the worst of his carreer.

soul24rage

Well it's great, then Barcelona can buy this soon-to-be-30-year-old this year, and next year they can buy the one who is voted as the best GK that year...
Two seasons ago, he seemed to struggle to take the shirt from finnish keeper Anssi Jakkola when he was at Reading on loan, and on his previous loan spell at Getafe, he couldn't take the shirt off Vicente Guaita. Maybe he was very underrated back then at both those clubs, and also when he was at Wolves and got benched by Carl Ikeme, and he is actually a very great keeper. He has had one season where he played 20 games or more, so I guess it remains to be seen, no matter what whoscored thinks about that season.

I previously posted a comparison of the last season, where Marc Andre ter Stegen beat Neuer, Donnarumma, Mendy and de Gea on save percentage. His save percentage last season of 71.6 is respectable, even though it is the worst of his carreer.

Maybe Martinez is a late bloomer. Van der Sar was playing at Fulham at the age of 34. That didn't stop Man Utd to buy him and in return VdS helped Man United win 3 consecutive PLs and reach the CL final 3 times, winning one in the penalty shootouts.

I still don't think MATS is the biggest problem to fix as I'm more concerned with the quality of the CB starters and the CM depth, but MATS needs to show this season that he can step it up.

Edit: dammit fergus90, you beat me with the VdS example!

fergus90

Maybe Martinez is a late bloomer. Van der Sar was playing at Fulham at the age of 34. That didn't stop Man Utd to buy him and in return VdS helped Man United win 3 consecutive PLs and reach the CL final 3 times, winning one in the penalty shootouts.

I still don't think MATS is the biggest problem to fix as I'm more concerned with the quality of the CB starters and the CM depth, but MATS needs to show this season that he can step it up.

Edit: dammit fergus90, you beat me with the VdS example!

Haha sorry mate. Although great minds think alike as they say!

Bobo32

I am not saying Martinez isn't a late bloomer, maybe he is even the perfect replacement for ter Stegen, although I very much doubt it.
Keepers in particular can be late bloomers, and I am not one to disregard the possibility of a player being misunderstood by managers...

But van der Sar is a VERY bad example, he had played over 20 (well over 30) games a season for over ten seasons before he joined Manchester United, and he had played for Juventus in Serie A for two of those seasons, played in a CL final with Ajax etc. Even being the clear starter for Fulham in the PL for some years is levels above what Martinez did before this season, where he apparently played very well, and even got to play and win for his NT.

Some years ago different managers thought Jakkola, Ikeme and Guaita were superior to this guy, now you tell me he is superior to Stegen. I would be more eager to believe you if you told me that before this season!

Bobo32

The vdS comparison would be closer to what could happen with ter Stegen if users here got what they wanted: say ter Stegen goes to Getafe next season, people believing him to be finished. Then he has three or four good seasons there before a big club takes a chance to sign him again - and then he has a second revival and everyone sees his greatness.

I don't know if there are any good examples previously of players never playing a full season until they are 29 and then becoming someone for the biggest clubs in the world. Maybe Martinez could be the first.

soul24rage

I am not saying Martinez isn't a late bloomer, maybe he is even the perfect replacement for ter Stegen, although I very much doubt it.
Keepers in particular can be late bloomers, and I am not one to disregard the possibility of a player being misunderstood by managers...

But van der Sar is a VERY bad example, he had played over 20 (well over 30) games a season for over ten seasons before he joined Manchester United, and he had played for Juventus in Serie A for two of those seasons, played in a CL final with Ajax etc. Even being the clear starter for Fulham in the PL for some years is levels above what Martinez did before this season, where he apparently played very well, and even got to play and win for his NT.

Some years ago different managers thought Jakkola, Ikeme and Guaita were superior to this guy, now you tell me he is superior to Stegen. I would be more eager to believe you if you told me that before this season!

VdS is a great example as the situation is similar. It is his performance at Fulham that gotten Man Utd to sign him, not his performances of Ajax and Juve.

I'm not sure what you mean by "win for his NT" as he didn't win any trophy with the Netherlands.

Bobo32

VdS is a great example as the situation is similar. It is his performance at Fulham that gotten Man Utd to sign him, not his performances of Ajax and Juve.

I'm not sure what you mean by "win for his NT" as he didn't win any trophy with the Netherlands.

After that last comma I was talking about Martinez again, he got his first cap one month ago and I saw him win the Copa. He held on to the ball for 25seconds+ every time he got it after Di Marias goal, very nice!

The situation isn't close to similar as Edwin was a great keeper that had played regularly for over ten years, winning leagues, playing a CL final, playing for his country for the same time and so on. He was a great keeper that many thought were finished after having had a great carreer before Man Utd bought him. The point you can make about him is that keepers aren't finished just because they are "old", but that point can just as easily be made about ter Stegen, who is the same age as Martinez (who never played as a starter before this season).

soul24rage

After that last comma I was talking about Martinez again, he got his first cap one month ago and I saw him win the Copa. He held on to the ball for 25seconds+ every time he got it after Di Marias goal, very nice!

The situation isn't close to similar as Edwin was a great keeper that had played regularly for over ten years, winning leagues, playing a CL final, playing for his country for the same time and so on. He was a great keeper that many thought were finished after having had a great carreer before Man Utd bought him. The point you can make about him is that keepers aren't finished just because they are "old", but that point can just as easily be made about ter Stegen, who is the same age as Martinez (who never played as a starter before this season).

ah, my mistake for misunderstanding for the NT part.

The situation that I am comparing VdS and Martinez is age and showing good consistent performance in recent times catching the eyes by a big club/NT.

Right now, Mats had an underwhelming 19/20 & 20/21 season imo and with his injury, it is a concern for this coming season.

Let's see how Mats performs in this coming season. I am really hoping that he steps it up this season.

Last edited:

Bobo32

ah, my mistake for misunderstanding for the NT part.

The situation that I am comparing VdS and Martinez is age and showing good consistent performance in recent times catching the eyes by a big club/NT.

Right now, Mats had an underwhelming 19/20 & 20/21 season imo and with his injury, it is a concern for this coming season.

Let's see how Mats performs in this coming season. I am really hoping that he steps it up this season.

No it was poorly written, my fault.
Yes let's see how this thing plays out!

Daniele

Daniele or Daniela?

no the point is:
in this forum most of the users are not able to evaluate the players (the case of Messi, which some users assumed finished already years ago is emblematic).
Mats is a good goalkeeper; it is normal to have a drop in a team that has a drop in performance like Barca in recent years
- do not forget that it is a team sport
(I assure you that even Donnarumma, for example, has made great mistakes).
An expert eye knows that Marc is a very good goalkeeper and he'll do well

raedkuwait

no the point is:
in this forum most of the users are not able to evaluate the players (the case of Messi, which some users assumed finished already years ago is emblematic).
Mats is a good goalkeeper; it is normal to have a drop in a team that has a drop in performance like Barca in recent years
Yup thats why Germany cant wait to have him back
An old keeper like Neur is still 10 times the keeper
Stegen is!!!
Plus in any sport a guy that shits his pants
When ever there is a hint of pressure, is not good
And cant cut it no matter how good he is.

Last edited:

serghei

no the point is:

The forum as in who? Only BBZ thought Messi is that finished as far as I remember. Most of the other Messi criticizes thought Messi was unable anymore to really dominate the best teams. And he is "washed up" in that sense. Don't know if you noticed but he was well under his normal standards in Clasicos for a good number of years for example.

I understand the fascination with Messi, but with Stegen, what is it? His blonde hair, driving an electric scooter, his serene face, what? :lol: He has like no redeeming qualities about him.

There's really 1 great thing I remember Stegen doing all of last season, and that is saving that Ocampos pen at 2-0 vs Sevilla.

Last edited:

Messigician

Sign him PLEASE

🎙[ @DiarioOle ] | Emiliano Mart?nez: ?I want to give Lionel Messi a World Cup. I wish I could?ve played with Leo on the club level as well, It would?ve made me a better goalkeeper and helped him win more trophies.?

Literally would play for free just to be with Leo

Home of Barca Fans