23 - Jules Kounde

JamDav1982

People said the same in 2016, 2018 and 2022.

Maybe but fact remains dont think they are one of top sides in Europe.

Can see next season.

Cant be that bad defensively again and go deep dont think and that is with Courtois being one of their better players and teams missing chances.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The main reason of the downfall of barca is not big wages offered to players. It's the extreme incompetence in buying players. It's like we don't have any scouting system -sport department whatsoever. No risk-taking in buying young players with potential and no eye for buying players with the potential to grow. We just like look at the market and buy the most established player in a position and try to buy with ridiculous money. That model is bound to fail and is not sustainable and the results are Infront of our eyes. Yet, stunningly, the club continues to buy ready-made players that cost the most in every position irrespective of age. It s like they are continuing with a model that led to barcelona a selling itself. Stunning

Exactly. It seems our scouts only scout attacking midfielders and nothing else. When Sevilla, Atletico and plenty of other clubs and other teams are signing young defenders and forwards etc. (of course, not saying they will always work out) for cheap, it seems we will always rely on other clubs to do our homework, sign them and have them spend their prime years there only for us to bring them in for a lot of money when they are around age 30 or so.

Temptation

Dont agree.

Lets see how season pans out.

Real cant be that poor defensively and have teams GKs fucking up etc again.

Fair play to them on winning it but cant see them being one of top sides this season.

It's just that whenever you see PSG play everything from philosophy to mentality just seems like a massive flop.

There's no cohesion or even proper patterns of play.

One of the most unbalanced and strangely assembled squads.

Every year we hear that they're gonna be unplayable next season with the players they'll get in but it stays a shitshow.

snowy

It's just that whenever you see PSG play everything from philosophy to mentality just seems like a massive flop.

Every year we hear that they're gonna be unplayable next season with the players they'll get in but it stays a shitshow.

If Klopp was coach, no remontada for Real on that 2nd leg. Poch was sitting on his azz watching the clouds pass by :lol:

Entire defence and midfield froze on the spot after that 1st goal in what... something like the 75th min.? crazy stuff

JamDav1982

Aas said. Dont agree and will see this season.

JamDav1982

Exactly. It seems our scouts only scout attacking midfielders and nothing else. When Sevilla, Atletico and plenty of other clubs and other teams are signing young defenders and forwards etc. (of course, not saying they will always work out) for cheap, it seems we will always rely on other clubs to do our homework, sign them and have them spend their prime years there only for us to bring them in for a lot of money when they are around age 30 or so.

To be fair Christensen and Araujo for 6m is good moves in the market in terms of CBs.

As for never scouting them.. did find Aruajo and will probably make 40m odd on Mina/Todibo.

For me I cant understand how they would rather spend money on a back up CB at 31 out of contract in a year and not try to upgrade full back with younger players.

fergus90

Losing Kounde is not that big a deal.

What the issue would be, is willing to invest similar money on the likes of Martinez.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
To be fair Christensen and Araujo for 6m is good moves in the market in terms of CBs.

As for never scouting them.. did find Aruajo and will probably make 40m odd on Mina/Todibo.

For me I cant understand how they would rather spend money on a back up CB at 31 out of contract in a year and not try to upgrade full back with younger players.

Yes, was going to say about Araujo, seems to be the last defender we brought in? I think it was Ramon Planes' good work. Should have kept him. Not sure exactly what Jordi Cruyff has done.

serghei

You are just trying to find early excuses if Xavi fails. Anything else but a league title is a failure considering he asked for a 34 year old Lewandowski for 50mil, and got him. If he can't win it this season, then when, when Lewa is 36? What was the point in getting him then, but to win the league.

No, I'm trying to match expectations with the reality of the situation.

We could win it this season, that is the plan. Teams beat better sides all the time. Madrid won CL even though they are weaker than both City and Liverpool.

If you believe not winning the league against a superior rival is a failure than you are delusional. Klopp should have been sacked last season for failing both main objectives according to that mentality.

In reality it's not win or fail, black or white, there are 5 steps in between. Ultimately, you can end up 2nd at 15 points from 1st place, or you could lose the title on 1 point or h2h difference. It's a world of difference between these situations, even though the end result is the same.

Finishign 2nd at more than 3-4 points off 1st place would be a failure for the club looking at the transfers we made. I expect us to challenge for the title until the end. That's all you can expect for a first season in rebuild. Challenging for the title, and doing well in CL.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Barca dont have to win it but they have to put up a good fight either way.

If come second to a poor Real that wont be good enough.

Coming second to a Real that have pushed whole way as two good sides is different.

Ideally would want to win obviusly but cant say every scenario is a failure if dont.

serghei

Barca dont have to win it but they have to put up a good fight either way.

If come second to a poor Real that wont be good enough.

Coming second to a Real that have pushed whole way as two good sides is different.

Ideally would want to win obviusly but cant say every scenario is a failure if dont.

That's fair.

Messi983

Losing Kounde sucks as he would really make this a great transfer window and he would be my primary target ahead of Lewa or Raphinha. It's not the end of the world though.

We'll have to wait and see what we'll do but I think a lack of a true SD will be evident in this situation. So far we've signed primary targets that Xavi demanded so their success/failure will be all up to him. More than just his normal responsibility for their performances as a coach but also as our de facto SD who pushed to sign exactly those players according to all reports.

Now we're into alternatives. I'd trust proven talent evaluators like Monchi or Campos much more in this situation than Alemany who has so far shown to be a good (not great) negotiator but he's basically just that. Which is fine if that's his role but we need someone to actually evaluate players and prepare plans B, C, D,... if we don't get our main targets. We didn't really have that for years (I think in current setup Jordi Cruyff is supposed to be that guy but not sure about him) and that's why we usually either overpay for primary targets or end up without signing anyone at all at positions of needs whichever is worse. So I think this will be the first big test for Alemany and especially Cruyff on the market.

Inigo Martinez is as unimaginative potential signing as possible. And not because he would be a bad player. He's not. But he's been on our radar for like 10 years and over spending for two over 30+ players in the same window after we mortgaged our longterm future to "rebuild" the team is not exactly ideal. I could get behind signing Lewa (and am actually quite excited about him now that he's here) because he was clearly the best option on the market and is an elite player. Inigo is not even close to that. He could obviously still turn out a good signing and will hope for the best if that's really the way we'll go but for now won't go to crazy about signing him as I believe we're in a process of considering our options rather than actually being close to sign Inigo or anyone else.

Home of Barca Fans