CL quarters: Barca - PSG 2-0 (5-1 agg.)

Jair Ventura

Depay, Lacazette, Felipe Anderson or Lucas Moura are not better than Neymar. Nor better individual talents.

I never claimed they were better than Neymar, but they don't have to be to offer what he does up front. You're entitled to your opinion, but objectively, the aforementioned players have played to their roles to a comparable level to that which Neymar has played his, without the benefit of playing with the firepower he does at Barca.

All of those 4 players are yet to establish themselves at club and NT level while Neymar has done that at NT level and on his way of doing that at Club Level.

Frankly, I don't know why we'd be discussing NT football in this context, but every player I mentioned is established on the club level. Lacazette, Depay, and Anderson are arguably the best players on their respective teams for christ sakes.

It's like arguing Veratti, Pogba, and Marquinhos haven't emerged as three of the best at their respective positions because they've yet to etch out extensive NT resumes.

After Ronaldinho and Kaka went downhill, Brazil yearned for an offensive player to lead their attack and the guy who was hyped up to be that guy and went on to do that is Neymar. Not Lucas. And definitely not Felipe Anderson.

Eh, this really does nothing for me. Too many politics involved to get into the discussion, and not one that's really relevant to what we're talking about anyway. This season, at the club level, the players I've mentioned have played to Neymar's level. To say otherwise is to disregard the work they've put into leading their clubs to domestic success, which I believe we'd all agree is important.

Last edited:

Jair Ventura

Your opinion, but I can't say I agree.

Well, I'm sure neither you nor I have seen enough Barca/PSG games combined to come to any definitive answer on the matter. But by my eye, and I'm positive relevant statistical databases can verify this: Lucas is a more technical player than Neymar in terms of dribble/holding onto the ball, passing, set pieces, through balls/one touch passing, and crosses. He even tracks back and contributes on defense, and can play CAM or Forward/Wing. What sets Neymar apart is his world class finishing, but I've even seen Barca fans of this very board complain about the other aspects of his game.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Verratti, Pogba and Marquinhos has had more than one great season. For Depay, Lacazette and Anderson to truly establish themselves they need to show it for more than one season. Too many one season wonders comes and goes, not saying either of those are, especially Depay who is a big talent and Lacazette who is an intriguing player set for a big move soon, but IMO you cannot say they are established at club level without them proving it again and again.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. I feel this discussion will only drag and go nowhere in the end judging by the early signs lol - and someone could argue both of us are biased because of me supporting Barcelona and you PSG. :vermaelen:

Last edited:

Jair Ventura

Verratti, Pogba and Marquinhos has had more than one great season. For Depay, Lacazette and Anderson to truly establish themselves they need to show it for more than one season. Too many one season wonders comes and goes, not saying either of those are, especially Depay who is a big talent and Lacazette who is an intriguing player set for a big move soon, but IMO you cannot say they are established at club level without them proving it again and again.

Your point is fair, but I think it equally fair to point out that Lacazette put up 15 goals and 3 assist just last season, while Depay performed admirably at the WC. I'll lend you Anderson though.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. I feel this discussion will only drag and go nowhere in the end judging by the early signs lol - and someone could argue both of us are biased because of me supporting Barcelona and you PSG. :vermaelen:

Fair enough.

DrPepper

He is more like 35% of Mascherano, and 25% of Xavi, that is definitely true.

Mascherano and Verratti are completely different players, with the latter not being a particularly strong tackler. But yeah, he's aerially weak as Masch, you could say that. Much more Xavi though.

StarLord

I wouldn't trade Neymar for Veratti + Marquinhos for the simple fact that they're both comparable talents to him on their own right. A package deal wouldn't be necessary, it'd be overkill. In fact, I'd go as far as to argue that Marquinhos is a better, more unique individual defensive talent than Neymar is an offensive. Marquinhos has no peers in his age group; literally no one but he can play both in the center or the right flank with sublime competence. But Depay, Lacazette, Anderson, and a handful of others can offer what Neymar does and more, at a cheaper price tag no less.

On top of all this, Paris already has 22 year old Lucas Moura, who in my opinion is a more polished player than Neymar in all but finishing.

Yes, and my Golf GTi, Honda Civic, Mini Cooper and BMW 120d are comparable cars to the Lamborghini Huracan, and not only that they can offer what the Lamborghini does and more, at a cheaper price tag no less.

StarLord

Mascherano and Verratti are completely different players, with the latter not being a particularly strong tackler. But yeah, he's aerially weak as Masch, you could say that. Much more Xavi though.

I agree that Verratti is very talented, but comparing him to Xavi at this point in time, is a bit like comparing Jordan Spieth to Tiger Woods. Verratti is clearly very talented, but simply cannot be placed in the same sentence as an all-time great such as Xavi.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
PSG got Verratti for 10m or something.

Only 10m. Imagine that.

Vermaelen cost us more lol

Leonardo really served PSG well by signing him and Marquinhos.

EdmondDantes

And Ibrah, Lucas Moura, Thiago Silva, Maxwell...the list goes on. PSG are shrewd in the market. Think of the hundreds of millions Liverpool wasted on garbage....

DrPepper

Liverpool at least get decent fees for some of their players (Suarez, Torres), we don't. I don't think there's any club in top football that's as mismanaged as Barca is. Normally you buy low and sell high but we rather do the opposite.

Anyway, I hope we can come out with a victory on Wednesday. Or at least a draw that is not goalless.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Liverpool at least get decent fees for some of their players (Suarez, Torres), we don't. I don't think there's any club in top football that's as mismanaged as Barca is. Normally you buy low and sell high but we rather do the opposite.

Anyway, I hope we can come out with a victory tomorrow. Or at least a draw that is not goalless.

Normally we sell players only when we no longer want them or when the player demands for a move. This often results in lower prices. Not to mention that the board is sometimes nicer to players and will allow them to leave to their preferred team, even if the club gets less money (David Villa to Atleti).

DrPepper

Sounds really nice but we're not welfare. We should be more pragmatic like PSG and keeping players against their will sometimes if we can't get a decent fee for them (or selling simply isn't good for us). Like Cesc or Ibra... You can't buy a player for 70m only to sell him for 20m the year after.

Home of Barca Fans