Daniel Alves

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Well I'll admit I was quite wrong about him before. He still isn't a great defender but I can no longer doubt his quality and work ethic at least. Well done today

Stric

Yep, I was thinking about that, too. We might as well have a real defender behind him, and not make the actual RW cover up his absence. Although I'm still confused about what his main role in attack is. His crosses are, apart from being abysmal most of the time, useless, as we have no tall attackers to head them. (That pass today was sublime, though, but it's unlike anything he ever does and was performed after a set piece, if I'm not mistaken, out of his position.) He's right footed, so he won't shoot from the right, and even when he gets into a shooting position, he passes back. He scored a brilliant long range goal in preseason, but he never shoots anymore. He's not a dribbler, he doesn't dribble his way into the box, so I'm not really sure what exactly it is we are using him for? Just to have someone on the right to pass to and be given a pass back from? We might as well use someone else, more appropriate for a RW, then.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Yep, I was thinking about that, too. We might as well have a real defender behind him, and not make the actual RW cover up his absence. Although I'm still confused about what his main role in attack is. His crosses are, apart from being abysmal most of the time, useless, as we have no tall attackers to head them. (That pass today was sublime, though, but it's unlike anything he ever does and was performed after a set piece, if I'm not mistaken, out of his position.) He's right footed, so he won't shoot from the right, and even when he gets into a shooting position, he passes back. He scored a brilliant long range goal in preseason, but he never shoots anymore. He's not a dribbler, he doesn't dribble his way into the box, so I'm not really sure what exactly it is we are using him for? Just to have someone on the right to pass to and be given a pass back from? We might as well use someone else, more appropriate for a RW, then.

His crosses are hit and miss and while we don't have a tall forward, there are a lot of times when the forward (Messi/Villa) latches onto it and finishes with a header or volley. He's also got pretty good vision and can play good through balls or lobbed passes. Plus he is an adept dribbler, links up alright, and has a great attacking and defensive workrate. I know it may seem as if his contributions in attack aren't useful, but there's a reason he's gotten a huge amount of assists since January. He's not the best goalscorer, but his contributions in attack are pretty damn significant as a RB, so imagine if he was freed up as a winger.

Stric

He's not the best goalscorer, but his contributions in attack are pretty damn significant as a RB, so imagine if he was freed up as a winger.

By all means then, use him as one, but not at the expense of the defense. Put Montoya in the back and replace Sanchez/Pedro with Alves. Both Sanchez and Pedro are better on the left, anyway. But that's not much different from having Pedro or Sanchez there, because we'd again be left with a right winger who's used for workrate and whatever gibberish is used to justify what's been happening lately, instead of having an actual forward who's a scoring threat. We need a left footed goalscorer there.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Best player on our team. I just hope he shoots more though, he's very good at it. There was one instance where he could easily have taken a shot from a very good position, but he cut back to Messi at the top of the box, who was confused and got dispossessed by Thiago Silva.

BerkeleyBernie

Best player on our team. I just hope he shoots more though, he's very good at it. There was one instance where he could easily have taken a shot from a very good position, but he cut back to Messi at the top of the box, who was confused and got dispossessed by Thiago Silva.

Well, his shooting is as erratic as his crossing- sometimes dead-on, but often all over the place. His best work up-front is the cut-back pass, which often successfully leads to goals. That said, when he's got a great opening, he really should have a go. The instance you mention today was definitely one of those, where there was no advantage to the cut-back.

But this one has to take the cake :lol::

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans