2013-04-03_ENTRENO_41.v1365008484.JPG
looks better and btw SWAG...

Last edited:
F

Flavia

Alves: “Not having Messi is a challenge and an incentive”

Roger Bogunyà
04/03/2013 15:07

The defender believes the match against Mallorca give his teammates the chance "to prove to everyone that we have enough quality to compete without Messi"
"I'm pleased with the result and how we did our job," says Alves on yesterday's match against PSG.

2013-04-03_ENTRENO_41.v1365008484.JPG

Dani Alves believes that Leo Messi’s injury, which will keep the Argentine from playing against Mallorca this weekend, is a “challenge” and “an incentive” for the rest of the Barça squad: “the fact that we don’t have him is an incentive to prove to everyone that we have enough quality to compete without him and show that we can do it just was well when he’s here. It’s a challenge for us to defeat PSG without Messi, but, obviously, it would be better if he was there.” At this point, Messi’s fitness remains in question for the upcoming Champions League match on Wednesday.

Satisfied with the match in Paris

On the team’s performance at the Parc des Princes, the Brazilian said that he’s “very pleased with the result (2-2), even though we left with a bitter taste in our mouths seeing how the game played out.” Alves went on to say that he’s “pleased with how the the team competed and with how we did our job. It was much better than the day we faced AC Milan at the San Siro.”

Volunteers to play in the middle of the defence

When asked about Barça’s many absences on defence (Puyol, Adriano and now Mascherano), Alves noted that the injuries “don’t help the team, but they’ll be back soon.” He then offered to play in the centre back role if the manager deems it necessary: “if I remember correctly, I played in that position with Guardiola when we played a back line of three. It’s easy for me to adapt: if I’m asked to attack, then I attack; if I’m asked to defend, then I defend, and if I’m asked to do both, I do my best. I’m at the disposition of the managers.”

“Football is for footballers”

When asked about the officiating in Paris, Alves was clear: “in football the referees should hardly be noticeable. Football is for footballers and they [referees] should go unnoticed. If they make the news it’s because they’ve made a mistake.” Was the end result against PSG conditioned by the referee? “Obviously, but we have to do a better job so something like that can’t happen again.”

Kerrybai

As Alves says if he is asked to attack he does so. Complaining that he attacks too much is pretty unfair on him if he is following the orders of the management.

Trillske

I hate this player passionately, so I really hate how good he is.
Keep watching his assist last game. He really out-Zlataned the real Ibra with that one.. simply incredible.

Pepe Silvia

does dani alves mess up on defense, lately more often? yes. but so has everyone on the team including messi (see his cheap giveaway that led to chelsea goal in cl semi). do we go around spouting off hatred to messi when he gives away the ball cheaply (something he is now doing more of)? no. this is why when someone says i hate dani alves it makes zero sense to me. dani alves has been literally invaluable to our play style over the course of the last 4+ years. w/o dani, that flank would be unrecognizable to what it is now. no one can do what he does bro. accept that fact.

Trillske

I agree. It is painfully obvious what happens to this squad today if Messi is not playing.. without Alves as well, you might as well just keep the ball and go for 0-0.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
does dani alves mess up on defense, lately more often? yes. but so has everyone on the team including messi (see his cheap giveaway that led to chelsea goal in cl semi). do we go around spouting off hatred to messi when he gives away the ball cheaply (something he is now doing more of)? no. this is why when someone says i hate dani alves it makes zero sense to me. dani alves has been literally invaluable to our play style over the course of the last 4+ years. w/o dani, that flank would be unrecognizable to what it is now. no one can do what he does bro. accept that fact.

Word! He's been our best player the last couple of matches together with Messi and Iniesta, there are not many that can dribble players - we have a fullback that does it on a regular basis.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I've noticed that we've had really good fullbacks signings for 5-6 years. (Adriano, Abidal, Alves and Alba) Except Zambrotta, ofc.
Dani did a good job in last matches, i hope we can make him a RW and play Villa-Messi-Alves in attack and use Montoya as the fullback :)

Klein

I've noticed that we've had really good fullbacks signings for 5-6 years. (Adriano, Abidal, Alves and Alba) Except Zambrotta, ofc.
Dani did a good job in last matches, i hope we can make him a RW and play Villa-Messi-Alves in attack and use Montoya as the fullback :)

I really like this idea! It should be tried!

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
It's been tried & it sucked...

Yeah, I don get why people keep bringing it over again and again... As explained many times, playing him RW removes the surprise element and most importantly the strength by numbers when he shows up in attack as an extra man... Not to mention Pep tried it and didn't quite work as expected...

Stric

I don't remember it ever being tried with an actual RB behind him. In a 3-4-3, yes, but in a 4-3-3, I can't recall...?

Y

Youngie

Yeah, I don get why people keep bringing it over again and again... As explained many times, playing him RW removes the surprise element and most importantly the strength by numbers when he shows up in attack as an extra man... Not to mention Pep tried it and didn't quite work as expected...

Anything just to keep Cesc out of the team :D

Stric

Horrendous crossing and defending. Good workrate and involvement, though. I still think he should play much less than he does. Montoya is just the perfect fit sometimes, especially when you need extra security at the back.

Home of Barca Fans