Daniel Alves

Jombi

Who is this guy? Sure, our transfer policy is wacky, we can all agree on that, but we have both Bartra and Adriano as alternatives for RB which he ignores and Danilo is one massively overrated player, Mangala style.

We can probably get Serge Aurier for less than half of what Madrid paid for Danilo. I dont think we should be worried about losing Alves. He is 32 and will probably decline rapidly in the next couple of years. Even Iniesta who has relied much less on fitness than Alves is showing clear signs of decline and he is a year younger.

Leo_Messi

The board has handled themselves poorly once again. I am not surprised.

Although I wanted and still want Alves to stay for at least 1 season more given the circumstances his departure is likely not to be such a big loss as some users here make it out to be.

Montoya might not be the best right back but I have a strong feeling that he would grow a lot if he was given a long run of games and trust. He has the tools to succeed. In any case it is pretty obvious that the club is looking to sign a right back this summer and then incorporate that right back in January 2016. Darmian for instance. I think that we will be fine regardless.

What worries me more is Dani's motivation and if his form will suffer due to this situation given that we are approaching the most crucial and deciding weeks of the season.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Who is this guy? Sure, our transfer policy is wacky, we can all agree on that, but we have both Bartra and Adriano as alternatives for RB which he ignores and Danilo is one massively overrated player, Mangala style.

We can probably get Serge Aurier for less than half of what Madrid paid for Danilo. I dont think we should be worried about losing Alves. He is 32 and will probably decline rapidly in the next couple of years. Even Iniesta who has relied much less on fitness than Alves is showing clear signs of decline and he is a year younger.

He has a point. Barca did mess this up. It's almost as if they decided to move on from Alves a while ago, but either failed to plan for life without him, or their plan backfired, understandably when your plan is Montoya and Douglas and Montoya might even want to leave too. Now they're scrambling to resign Alves because they have few options, but again don't want to fully commit to him.

And forgive me, but Bartra and Adriano are not solutions, they're patches.

Alik

The board has handled themselves poorly once again. I am not surprised.

Although I wanted and still want Alves to stay for at least 1 season more given the circumstances his departure is likely not to be such a big loss as some users here make it out to be.

Montoya might not be the best right back but I have a strong feeling that he would grow a lot if he was given a long run of games and trust. He has the tools to succeed. In any case it is pretty obvious that the club is looking to sign a right back this summer and then incorporate that right back in January 2016. Darmian for instance. I think that we will be fine regardless.

What worries me more is Dani's motivation and if his form will suffer due to this situation given that we are approaching the most crucial and deciding weeks of the season.

Yeah, that's what worries me too.

Devils

I would assume the board has a RB lined up for next season and that's why giving Dani 2+1 wouldn't work.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
As an average person, with a normal job, that is something i cant quite understand. The top players in international football are set for life after a career of football, why do they care about earning more when they sit on a 3 mill a week doing what they love?

Not that they want money for the sake of money (some players do, definitely), it validates their worth and value and self-esteem/ego, I think.

The same reason I think why Kroos left Bayern.

Jombi

He has a point. Barca did mess this up. It's almost as if they decided to move on from Alves a while ago, but either failed to plan for life without him, or their plan backfired, understandably when your plan is Montoya and Douglas and Montoya might even want to leave too. Now they're scrambling to resign Alves because they have few options, but again don't want to fully commit to him.

And forgive me, but Bartra and Adriano are not solutions, they're patches.

I see where you're coming from, but I dont think we are scrambling to resign Alves. We think he can still be useful, that's why we offer him a decent deal, but he is soon 32 and not the player he was so naturally we shouldnt be held for ransom so I think we are doing the right thing. For all we know, Alves might decline further in the next 6 months, which isnt unlikely, and suddenly players like Montoya with regular game time could already be a better player than Alves.

Jombi

Guys, just because a CB has decent pace doesn't mean he can play RB...

He also has good attacking qualities, he can score goals with both feet and head, and he has good passing. I dont think he is worse than Puyol attacking wise, and Puyol was a great RB for us. I think Bartra deserves to play more and he has Barca in his heart. With our CB positions not looking so thin anymore, Bartra as RB is a proposition worth considering IMO.

Last edited:
B

Batman

The best thing for the club is to postpone the negotiation for another month or so until crucial CL and La Liga games are over.
Most transfer business between clubs and agents happen after the season is over. He claims he has two other offers so, what's there to lose?

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I see where you're coming from, but I dont think we are scrambling to resign Alves. We think he can still be useful, that's why we offer him a decent deal, but he is 32 and not the player he was so naturally we shouldnt be held for ransom so I think we are doing the right thing. For all we know, Alves might decline further in the next 6 months, which isnt unlikely, and suddenly players like Montoya with regular game time could already be a better player than Alves.

That explains their unwillingness to commit further than a 1 year deal, which is understandable for the reason's you listed, plus the fact Alves earns a big wage. However, it doesn't explain why they waited until April to offer him a renewal when his contract expires in 2 months. It doesn't explain why they've failed to plan for the position after Alves to the point where you're now not willing to commit to Alves long term, but have still have great need of him because you've left the position so weak.

Like I said, it's like they decided it was time to move on from Alves a while ago, but fucked up the renewal plan to the point where now they're in the impossible position of not wanting to commit to the player long term for obvious reasons, but due to the ban and worse alternatives, they have no choice but to depend on Alves a while longer.

No one can blame Alves for wanting security and better contract situation.

B

Batman

Guys, just because a CB has decent pace doesn't mean he can play RB...

Dani isn't RB anymore. He is a right wing, so would assume a CB will do better in defense while limited going forward but again Alves don't offer much going forward either.

Leo_Messi

The best thing for the club is to postpone the negotiation for another month or so until crucial CL and La Liga games are over.
Most transfer business between clubs and agents happen after the season is over. He claims he has two other offers so, what's there to lose?

Not possible to postpone something that has already been postponed for almost 1 year! What is there to postpone when the negotiations have been ongoing for the past 2 weeks (officially) or so if not longer? This issue will be settled before the season ends IMO meaning that Alves' future will be decided before that happens. I don't think that it's unlikely that Alves will finally stay either. His agent is just pressuring the club. It probably also depends on the contacts with possible substitutes such as Darmian for instance.

ADAMA!!!:party1:

No. Pedro would be a much better option as a RB if you really would want to convert an existing player into a right back.

Home of Barca Fans