Daniel Alves

F

Flavia

Sport's Mascaro taking the opportunity to criticize the board:

Serious mistake
Letting Dani Alves leave could end up costing Barcelona next season

Lluís Mascaro says Barça have handled Dani Alves' contract situation wrong from the very beginning

Alves looks like leaving Barça | Foto: EFE

Lluís Mascaro | 9.4.2015 | 18:42h.

The 'Alves case" has been a serious error on the part of the Barcelona board.
It is a serious error that will cost them. If the Brazilian, as suggested by his agent, Dinorah Santana, rejects the club's offer (1+1+1), Barça will be without a right-back for the next season until January. Neither Martin Montoya nor Douglas are a good option.

Barça made a mistake last summer when they did not sign Juan Cuadrado. The Colombian finally went to Chelsea for the €30million and would have been the perfect replacement for Alves. But Andoni Zubizarreta preferred to spend the money on two central defenders, Jeremy Mathieu and Thomas Vermaelen. The latter has still not made his debut due to an injury. But that is not all. The second option Barça had, Danilo, has also escaped. Real Madrid have signed him.

If Barça don't want Alves, they should have brought in a replacement some time ago. A good one. What they cannot do now, because of the poor management at the club, is offer Alves a poor deal economically, because he already has big offers from elsewhere. Alves will leave Barcelona and the team will be left with no right-back. Simply lamentable.

[tw]586213418694275073[/tw]

[tw]586213898744897538[/tw]

Bertus

I would assume the board has a RB lined up for next season and that's why giving Dani 2+1 wouldn't work.
Knowing this board, I assume they have a target but they are nowhere near 100% sure that said target sill sign with us.

Ritchie

Alves is dogshit these days. Let him go, make do with Montoya/Adriano/Douglas until January with a signing ready to come in.

Zubi is such an idiot for not replacing him in the summer. Alves should have been moved on a year or two ago when he was worth something.

Chong Li

For once I completely agree with sport.

If we had signed a useful replacement last summer there'd be no problem with letting Alves go, but wasting money on Vermaelen and Douglas was just pure incompetence.

Now we are fucked. Or does the board really believe we're gonna be able to sign a world class RB in January 2016?

Bertus

Alves is dogshit these days. Let him go, make do with Montoya/Adriano/Douglas until January with a signing ready to come in.

Zubi is such an idiot for not replacing him in the summer. Alves should have been moved on a year or two ago when he was worth something.
Dogshit?

To me he's still among the best RBs around.

Tell me who's a realistic target and definitely better than him for sure.

Too many people go around saying "it's ok we will sign this one and this one".

Lately it seems to me it isn't that easy for Barca to sign their main targets.

Renewing Alves would mean avoiding to gamble again.

Leo_Messi

For once I completely agree with sport.

If we had signed a useful replacement last summer there'd be no problem with letting Alves go, but wasting money on Vermaelen and Douglas was just pure incompetence.

Now we are fucked. Or does the board really believe we're gonna be able to sign a world class RB in January 2016?

Every sane person knows that the board screwed up once again. Many of us already predicted that this or a similar situation would occur last summer. I had discussions about this on other forums (Spanish ones). It's really frustrating but at the same time you can hardly get surprised anymore.

I have no clue who this "migeru" is but his twitter updates are spot on. Especially those concerning the inexplicably long contracts given to players of the age of Vermaelen, Mathieu, Adriano etc. I don't think that all of them are necessarily bad decisions (expect Vermaelen) as 30-34 years is not that old nowadays but more the fact that the club now apparently does not won't to give Alves a 2+1 year long contract. Let alone the situation with Abidal who still had at least 1 good/decent season left an who they openly betrayed and lied to shamelessly.
It smells of hypocrisy and of a lack of foresight. On the other hand Alves' big salary probably has a big role to play here. Still this situation should have been handled much, much better a long time ago.

Starting with not buying the nobody that is Douglas (São Paulo fans are still laughing when they hear about this transfer to this day just check out the social media, Youtube etc.) and instead buying a REAL replacement for Alves last summer. But no, they decided to buy a nobody and not solve Alves' contract issues. A bunch of amateurs really.

This current board is simply not worthy of leading the club. It's as simple as that.

Jombi

Yes, the board is incompetent and handing old/injury prone CBs around 30 years old, big 5 year contracts is just beyond comprehension, but we do have options already in the team. In addition to the 3 RBs we already have, not including Alves, there are also the option of Bartra and Pedro as RBs. Titles arent won in fall anyway and we will definitely progress from our CL group. I'd rather see Pedro as RB than Cuadrado, thats for sure. He is awful in defence.

Bertus

Every sane person knows that the board screwed up once again. Many of us already predicted that this or a similar situation would occur last summer. I had discussions about this on other forums (Spanish ones). It's really frustrating but at the same time you can hardly get surprised anymore.

I have no clue who this "migeru" is but his twitter updates are spot on. Especially those concerning the inexplicably long contracts to players of the age of Vermaelen, Mathieu, Adriano etc. I don't think that all of them are necessarily bad decisions (expect Vermaelen) as 30-34 years is not that old nowadays but more the fact that the club now apparently does not won't to give Alves a 2+1 year long contract. It smells of hypocrisy and lack of foresight. On the other hand Alves' big salary probably has a big role to play here. Still this situation should have been handled much, much better a long time ago.

Starting with not buying the nobody that is Douglas (São Paulo fans are still laughing when they hear about this transfer to this day just check out the social media, Youtube etc.) and instead buying a REAL replacement for Alves last summer. But no, they decided to buy a nobody and not solve Alves' contract issues. A bunch of amateurs really.

This current board is simply not worthy of leading the club. It's as simple as that.

Hit Like button [that is not installed yet] :p

Bertus

Yes, the board is incompetent and handing old/injury prone CBs around 30 years old, big 5 year contracts is just beyond comprehension, but we do have options already in the team. In addition to the 3 RBs we already have, not including Alves, there are also the option of Bartra and Pedro as RBs. Titles arent won in fall anyway and we will definitely progress from our CL group. I'd rather see Pedro as RB than Cuadrado, thats for sure. He is awful in defence.
Options don't mean this situation is ok.

Why the f*ck did they not sign an RB last summer.

Why did they believe players will just wait next winter to come here.

Gonna just guess here, but I would bet Danilo didn't want to wait.

This board acts as if they take everything as granted.

They were sure that TS would sign "just because", so that year they didn't sign any CB. Last year, they seemed to think a miracle would happen with the ban and such, and so did only 50% of the job right during the summer mercato.

Now they seem to think players like Pogba or Danilo will just accept their offers with loan, joining later blablablablabla.

It feels we're in to get no one of these targets, thanks to this board.

Jombi

No club really signs world class RBs. They sign players from smaller clubs and when they join the big club they are recognized as the best in their position. Its pretty much only us that focuses our main targets on starters from rich clubs like PSG or go after guys like Boateng in Bayern etc.

Leo_Messi

It's not about us having options (we do) as much as it's pure incompetence and something that should have been settled long ago. Now it will probably destabilize Alves who Lucho still considers as the undisputed right back of the team. All while we are approaching the most crucial time of the season. How can we as fans expect Alves to perform in the optimal way when the club has put him in such a situation? It's obvious that Alves wants to stay, that he cares about the club, that he is well-liked and that he still has at least 1 season left and that he is our best right back. We are not in a position to tell Alves to "go fuck himself and find another club". All the cards are on Alves' hands.

This is getting beyond ridiculous and unacceptable. If Bartomeu gets "reelected (a big LOL), God forbid, then don't be surprised if Messi will ultimately leave.

In fact I find it very remarkable that we are doing this good considering ALL the drama behind the scenes, scandals etc. that would have heavily influenced any other top team. It shows that this group of players is really special. Lucho deserves some credit too.

Bertus

No club really signs world class RBs. They sign players from smaller clubs and when they join the big club they are recognized as the best in their position. Its pretty much only us that focuses our main targets on starters from rich clubs like PSG or go after guys like Boateng in Bayern etc.
That's not the problem right now tho.

The current problem is that the mercato is around the corner and this board seems to think everything will be ok "just because", "just like that".

I have 0 faith in them. They aren't capable of handling most of the normal transfers when there's no ban around, I don't see them successfully handling complicated transfers like the ones they plan to do this summer.

And even when there's no ban, they manage to do horrible things like what happened with Neymar's transfer.

Sure i'm glad Ney is here. But that doesn't mean this transfer was handled like it should have been.

Really hope they lose the elections.

Bertus

This is getting beyond ridiculous and unacceptable. If Bartomeu gets "reelected (a big LOL), God forbid, then don't be surprised if Messi will ultimately leave.

In fact I find it very remarkable that we are doing this good considering ALL the drama behind the scenes, scandals etc. that would have heavily influenced any other top team. It shows that this group of players is really special. Lucho deserves some credit too.
Yup. And Lucho actually asked them to renew Alves.

I want to believe there's no way they can get reelected.

Jombi

I think we largely agree. There is massive incompetence and probably alot of corruption or money laundering going on, but it is what it is.

I dont know why we let PSG buy Serge Aurier instead of Douglas last summer. I do think we are giving Alves a decent deal now though, and I dont think he has the right to feel disrespected. He has stated in the past that he really loves money and plays for money so we shouldnt be surprised he wants to sign for whichever team offers him the most. I just feel he isnt all that great anymore so I think we will manage fine next season. I'm sure we will get a new board with some fresh ideas and hopefully better transfer policies.

Leo_Messi

Yup. And Lucho actually asked them to renew Alves.

I want to believe there's no way they can get reelected.

You never know with the socis. I have covered that topic in the "Bartomeu" thread. Honestly speaking then I don't see them getting reelected but a lot of it depends on whether Laporta will run or not. At least this is what I fear.

BTW; To anyone interested then our handball team (the most successful club team in Europe historically) is playing against Zagreb in the CL quarterfinals in less than 30 minutes. Just saying.:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_EHF_Champions_League_knockout_stage

Oh, and according to rumors in both Spain and France then Karabatic will join PSG together with his younger brother Luka. Mentioning it because Bertus is a PSG fan.

Sorry for off-topic.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans