Daniel Alves

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Am I alone in thinking dani started declining sharply (from an insane level of play) starting somewhere in 11-12? that's over three years, by far and away the sharpest decline in our team. He's been on and off, overall barely good enough for many seasons in my opinion. We were lucky to have alves but he's our weakest link in the strongest team in the world atm, and the board is about to gtfo like zubi did, so why leave eh.

That's not certain........

JamDav1982

Am I alone in thinking dani started declining sharply (from an insane level of play) starting somewhere in 11-12? that's over three years, by far and away the sharpest decline in our team. He's been on and off, overall barely good enough for many seasons in my opinion. We were lucky to have alves but he's our weakest link in the strongest team in the world atm, and the board is about to gtfo like zubi did, so why leave eh.

Alves is not the weakest link in the current Barca team he is one of the strongest players and best RB in the world.

If he was playing like this and in his twenties the contract would be no issue.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Watch this and tell me it doesn't remind you of a young alves

[youtube]LNZFdXTmGKY[/youtube]

Similar playing style with less talent. Zubi was taking a gamble and he was always going to be a project. Alves was always going to be the right back for this season. With douglas and Montoya ready to battle it out from the start of next season onwards.

anguy

And one cannot fault him for demanding a bit of respect, how many players played up to there optimal over the past season or 2? Not many, because the system was broken, the players know this.

He is basically saying look over bthose two years where we all suffered, look at my body of work and allow me to finish my career at Barcelona on my terms, I deserve that much.

Nobody "suffered" as much as Alves in last 2 years in performance area. And those who did are mostly gone, only Pique (improved drastically), and Iniesta will remain, Pedro will likely be gone too. Villa, Fabregas, Song, Sanchez, Valdez etc. are out so why give preferential treatment to ALves?

JamDav1982

Not for sentimental reasons only. His performances have been top notch this year.

Well it is for football reasons and not the idea of the club being a 'family'.

You liked the post which said Barca should give Alves the contract he wants due to what he has done the last 6/7 years and he should be able to stay at club on his own terms.

Deciding on a new contract is about looking forward not back and his form this season has been great in second part and it is worth trying to keep him but maybe not on a 3 year deal on big wages at 32.

F

Flavia

Nobody "suffered" as much as Alves in last 2 years in performance area. And those who did are mostly gone, only Pique (improved drastically), and Iniesta will remain, Pedro will likely be gone too. Villa, Fabregas, Song, Sanchez, Valdez etc. are out so why give preferential treatment to ALves?

Valdes wanted to leave, and him and Alves are not on the same bracket as cesc, song or sanchez... They're both Barça legends, the others are not.

serghei

A lot of our players suffered. Pique, Iniesta, Busquets, Alves, Xavi, Pedro. That's 5-6 players that were key in 2011. 2012 was we started the decline as A TEAM. Even Messi declined in 2013-14.

As much as i would like to believe it, I see no reason why alves would sustain his current level of play. It's not his normal level anymore. Any club that signs him is in for a big gamble, a losing one if i had to bet.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Watch this and tell me it doesn't remind you of a young alves

[youtube]LNZFdXTmGKY[/youtube]

Similar playing style with less talent. Zubi was taking a gamble and he was always going to be a project. Alves was always going to be the right back for this season. With douglas and Montoya ready to battle it out from the start of next season onwards.

I'm gonna upload a comp of former team mate who was a RB. Let's see if the club signs him too.

Douglas was rated by almost no one. Not even in his own club. That's a rather strange way of trying to justify a transfer blunder. 'He looks so similar to Alves in some YouTube moments even though no one ever rated him in his own country and among his own fanbase and were baffled when we signed him'

Hamzah

High Definition Member
It wouldn't be a gamble if everybody thought he was a good talent. All I'm saying is I can see his logic behind the transfer. Still a bad decision of course as we now have a mess at that position.

Ekul

Sadly for him it doesnt work like that and the club have to look after their own interests as well.

He is more saying 'look what I have done for the club now give me the money and years I deserve'. For a player of 32 in a physically demanding position the club have to weigh up whether that makes sense.

I think it's in the club's best interests to have the best right back playing for us, and not releasing him because of disputes over money.

serghei

Well it is for football reasons and not the idea of the club being a 'family'.

You liked the post which said Barca should give Alves the contract he wants due to what he has done the last 6/7 years and he should be able to stay at club on his own terms.

Obviously, that's not the only reason why he should be given the contract. Being one of the best RBs in the world during the last 7 years plays a big part. Being a Barca legend should make this a no brainer. People say let Alves go, but nobody comes with an alternative. It's funny actually.

JamDav1982

Obviously, that's not the only reason why he should be given the contract. Being one of the best RBs in the world during the last 7 years plays a big part. People say let Alves go, but nobody comes with an alternative. It's funny actually.

I have argued for Alves for years and dont think the position people are is to let him go other than if his wage demands and contract length is unreasonable.

There will always be replacements for players and plenty of names have been given on here.

JamDav1982

I think it's in the club's best interests to have the best right back playing for us, and not releasing him because of disputes over money.

With no limit on how much he gets paid or for how long contract is? Would you give him 200k for 5 years for instance?

Also you have to take into consideration he is almost certainly going to decline in the next few years so he may well not be best RB by then.

mark1nhu

No it isnt how it should work at all and if it did the club would be fucked.

You cant have players on big wages and long term contracts for sentimental reasons or club would go down hill rapidly.

Clubs are not obligated to renew players and accept all their wishes and demands.

But clubs, specially Barcelona, are indeed obligate to act with ethics and transparency.

That's a business rule and I really don't need to argue where Barcelona need to stay on the ethics and transparency matrix.

If Barcelona board have did that, we would by now see Dani leaving the club in pure passion and love, just wanting to win the treble and cement his already cemented name on Barcelona history.

But no, here we are...

Home of Barca Fans