Daniel Alves

F

Flavia

They tried to go for option one but the only players Lucho wanted to come in and play ahead of Alves were not able to get - Cuadrado/Marquinhos.

Still not sure how any of this is being disrespectful to Alves though as he was kept on and has been offered a contract when performances improved.

There can be an argument for it leaving the club without a top RB for a few months next season but not that Alves was treated badly.

The disrespect of Alves he clearly says was the fact they tried to replace him last summer which he feels in your first option of selling and replacing him anyway.

"They tried to go for option one" - really, jamdav... this is pretty pathetic, even for you. They did sign a rb, but a subpar one, Douglas. They surely could had done better, and it wouldn't be the only player to be signed without Enrique's request, as the already mentioned douglas and vermaelen. They screwed up, that's pretty simple. Amateurish stuff.

Alves alleged disrespect is not only about last summer, but that he was seen as the last resort now, when all options are gone.

What I care the most about is having a good rb next season. And douglas/montoya for 4 months isn't it. Montoya might also leave too, to make things worse.

Stric

If Alves thinks it's disrespectful that the club tried to replace him last summer, I think the discussion is as good as over. At that point, he was 31, had just finished his third bad season in a row (arguably his worst) and a WC where he was benched by Maicon. But he doesn't seem to think his performances suffered. That's the underlying problem here. Someone as unreasonable as that can't really be credible.

Last edited:

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
"They tried to go for option one" - really, jamdav... this is pretty pathetic, even for you. They did sign a rb, but a subpar one, Douglas. They surely could had done better, and it wouldn't be the only player to be signed without Enrique request, as the already mentioned douglas and vermaelen. They screwed up, that's pretty simple. Amateurish stuff.

They did try to sign Cuadrado and/or Marquinhos though. It didn't happen. Douglas was a pitiful attempt to make up for it though.

Besides this is hardly the first time Alves claims that the club has disrespected him. IIRC, he was pretty pissed off about the club not dispelling the rumors of PSG wanting to sign him back in 2012.

JamDav1982

No, board didn't offer any contract to him. He was just kept on the freezer.

And no again, board are not waiting to the end of the season. We all know the board made recently offers to keep Xavi and to keep pissed Alves.

And what about Ronaldinho? I don't care if previous board was unethical with him. Or if other boards around the world do the same. Both are wrong!

It doesn't give free pass to the current board to be unethical too, specially because we are talking about 1) a club like Barça and 2) a legendary player.

You can obviously think what you want, but I really blame the board because I never did anything like that to any of my employees and I know I would lost each one of them if I did.

Luckily to Barça, players know that a board is just transitional and the club is forever. Same cannot be said to regular small business.

How does Alves know the club want to keep him?

There is nothing at all 'unethical' about not offering a player a contract when he has one year to go.

No matter how many times you repeat it that is a decision to be made by a club to try and do whats best by them and not the player.

Nor does any club not offering a contract with a year to go have to guarantee no more contract offers will come in.

mark1nhu

I see two different issues of contention here.

One, is the who disrespected who debate which seems to be the bigger focus here.

Two, is whether or not Alves' terms are reasonable and if he should be renewed. -In my opinion, they are not and he shouldn't.

If Alves thinks he will get a better deal elsewhere, then great. I'd like him to stay one more season though.

Right on the bullseye.

I understand the board not wanting to renew.

I don't understand and I don't accept the board being that amateur and unethical.

Two different things.

JamDav1982

"They tried to go for option one" - really, jamdav... this is pretty pathetic, even for you. They did sign a rb, but a subpar one, Douglas. They surely could had done better, and it wouldn't be the only player to be signed without Enrique's request, as the already mentioned douglas and vermaelen. They screwed up, that's pretty simple. Amateurish stuff.

Alves alleged disrespect is not only about last summer, but that he was seen as the last resort now, when all options are gone.

What I care the most about is having a good rb next season. And douglas/montoya for 4 months isn't it. Montoya might also leave too, to make things worse.

They difference is that they never saw Douglas as a starting RB immediately but possible option for future. So Douglas transfer was never going to spell the end for Alves at Barca last summer.

Tough luck for Alves feeling like the last resort. He is a player at Barca and like any player is subject to the club trying to bring in better players.

Do the club just not try and upgrade the RB position if they see it is needed in case they hurt Alves feelings?

JamDav1982

Right on the bullseye.

I understand the board not wanting to renew.

I don't understand and I don't accept the board being that amateur and unethical.

Two different things.

Nothing 'unethical' at all about a player seeing out final year of contract and not being offered new one.

mark1nhu

How does Alves know the club want to keep him?

There is nothing at all 'unethical' about not offering a player a contract when he has one year to go.

No matter how many times you repeat it that is a decision to be made by a club to try and do whats best by them and not the player.

Nor does any club not offering a contract with a year to go have to guarantee no more contract offers will come in.

Jesus.

You still have no clue what we are talking about.

F

Flavia

They did try to sign Cuadrado and/or Marquinhos though. It didn't happen. Douglas was a pitiful attempt to make up for it though.

Besides this is hardly the first time Alves claims that the club has disrespected him. IIRC, he was pretty pissed off about the club not dispelling the rumors of PSG wanting to sign him back in 2012.

Marquinho wasn't going to be signed as a rb, but CB. I don't know why he keeps being mentioned. When cuadrado wasn't going to happen, that's when they should tried someone else. Or at least offered Alves an one year extension. I think back in the summer he would had taken it.

Alves claims of disrespect wouldn't matter, and maybe not even happened, if things were done properly.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Jesus.

You still have no clue what we are talking about.

How have the club been disrespectful to Dani then?

If Alves feels disrespected because he thought he had an optional extension for his contract, that's his agent's fault for conveying false information to him.

F

Flavia

They difference is that they never saw Douglas as a starting RB immediately but possible option for future. So Douglas transfer was never going to spell the end for Alves at Barca last summer.

Tough luck for Alves feeling like the last resort. He is a player at Barca and like any player is subject to the club trying to bring in better players.

Do the club just not try and upgrade the RB position if they see it is needed in case they hurt Alves feelings?

As usual you're diverting from the main point. I don't really care about Alves' feelings, have said that here more than once. That's not what's important, and not what I'm saying.

Douglas transfer was a joke. It's either pure incompetence, or corruption. Pick one.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I'd say Douglas was incompetence, the need to justify Neymar's dad being a scout (?), and a panic buy rolled into one.

JamDav1982

Have I said any moment the board should have offered him a new contract?

Man, you just lost our point many miles ago. Mine and Flavia's.

No but you wont explain how the club have been 'unethical' and point to what Flavia says. One option of which was to offer Alves a new contract.

I will ask you and you will avoid it but - what would have been the 'ethical' way to treat Alves?

Home of Barca Fans