Daniel Alves

JamDav1982

Would guess Alves is being brought in to play much more than this 'mentor' role folk are making out.

Wouldnt be surprised at all if Xavi is not a big fan of Dest/Mingueza.

JamDav1982

Sure, the roles are clear, but when you have two equally big legends screaming instructions (or wanting to take responsibility)? Assistant coach is generally a rather mundane job, which disqualifies bigger personalities usually. It can work with famous guys - like Ancelotti+Zidane - but I don't see such a dynamic with someone like Xavi in charge. He's too young and inexperienced for that.

That implies there is real competition, which would speak volumes about Dest. I don't think so.

You think Dest is nailed as RB?

It is much cleaner for coaches to take on roles of coaching specific players/positions than asking an existing player to do it.

He will be brought in to play I would think.

mc_lovin

You think Dest is nailed as RB?

It is much cleaner for coaches to take on roles of coaching specific players/positions than asking an existing player to do it.

He will be brought in to play I would think.

Yes.

And I don't think Alves is here to mentor younger players. He's here for his locker room presence (I imagine). Xavi's stint won't be decided by this transfer in any way. I can understand the idea, but I am not holding my breath. I am pretty indifferent to be honest (assuming he's on very low wages)

serghei

And for rotations. Dest can be moved up for RW if short of options and Alves could play RB. Or the opposite. Pretty indifferent to this, if the club is paying him a very low salary.

Don't think he could provide much impact on the field at this age, but don't think he'd cause problems in the locker room either. He'll probably be good for Dest to have one of the best fullbacks ever to learn from.

khaled_a_d

Sure, the roles are clear, but when you have two equally big legends screaming instructions (or wanting to take responsibility)?

Two equally? Whom? because surely Alves and Xavi aren't equally big legends, love Alves but he isn't near Xavi in that regard.
And developmental coach is more specific role than assistant btw.
For me it is better than taking a roster spot for a practically retired player

JamDav1982

Yes.

And I don't think Alves is here to mentor younger players. He's here for his locker room presence (I imagine). Xavi's stint won't be decided by this transfer in any way. I can understand the idea, but I am not holding my breath. I am pretty indifferent to be honest (assuming he's on very low wages)

What club signs a 38 year old for 'locker room presence' and not for in large part what they can give on field?

That is a failing of captains and coaching staff if feel need a player to give that ahead of what can do on the park.

This is about him as player more than anything else for me.

serghei

Locker room presence would have to be a secondary argument. The main thing would be that Alves would step play as a rotation RB and RW. Especially since the situation with Dembele is uncertain, and neither Dembele or Dest are the most reliable fit players. Both miss quite a few games.

Xavi probably doesn't like Mingueza as a RB. Can't explain this otherwise.

delancey

I don?t see this as a bad temporary transfer. Thing is, Alves can fill in at several positions on the right. Crucial considering our lack of squad depth and injury concerns. In addition, football is about more than talent and ability. Alves is a serial winner. This rubs off on other players who have thus far only tasted defeat and humiliation under Koeman.
It?s temporary, and affordable and offers options and squad depth. Soon Sterling (on loan).

Messi983

He is sport said so

Nope, they cite Ojo merchant reporting Alves's wages will be low and based on performances but we will still need to find a way to register him within La Liga salary/fair play rules.

In other words, we could pay him 1? (it will surely be more) but the league wouldn't accept that and they would calculate their own "fair" wages he should get based on previous years wages (from when he has last played for us as they don't care/don't have information how much he has earned in other leagues) and who knows what else if they would think whatever wages we'll report to them are too low.

So in the end we could have problems registering him or signing Alves could prevent us to sign other players in January. That's the main reason I'm not totally sure we should've signed him. I don't believe in Laporta but I'll trust Xavi he knows what he's doing (until proven otherwise). Don't expect Dani to play much but should still help the team, especially bringing some much needed winning mentality and experience to the youngsters.

JamDav1982

I don?t see this as a bad temporary transfer. Thing is, Alves can fill in at several positions on the right. Crucial considering our lack of squad depth and injury concerns. In addition, football is about more than talent and ability. Alves is a serial winner. This rubs off on other players who have thus far only tasted defeat and humiliation under Koeman.
It?s temporary, and affordable and offers options and squad depth. Soon Sterling (on loan).

Pique and Busquets are serial winners and amongst the worst leaders will see on the park.

Scrap that.. they WERE serial winners and time moved on.

mc_lovin

Two equally? Whom? because surely Alves and Xavi aren't equally big legends, love Alves but he isn't near Xavi in that regard.

In my mind it was more about people wanting Iniesta, Puyol and the likes as assistant coach, which I have read countless of times, and is utter nonsense for me. But the point still stands with Alves coming as a 'developmental' coach. I just don't see it with big personalities, and neither do I think it makes a lot of sense.

serghei

Alves makes more sense if Roberto is cut loose. That would be good money saving in terms of wages with actually no loss in performances. I think even current Alves would be better than Roberto as RB.

Messi983

Well, basically retired players are taking our roster spots for years already. One more won't hurt and I'm sure he'll bring much more character than our so called captains.

serghei

Well, basically retired players are taking our roster spots for years already. One more won't hurt and I'm sure he'll bring much more character than our so called captains.

Alves is different level to likes of Pique and Busi as far as leadership goes. Imo, him and Mascherano were both missed after they left.

Home of Barca Fans