Erling Haaland

Porque

Romario is rated so highly because he helped get R9s cherry popped.

With no Romario there is no confident Ronaldo. And thus no crazy goal versus Compostela.

No winning the Uefa Cup versus PSG to directly influence Ronaldinho to want to move to Barcelona.

No Ronaldinho means no idol for Messi.

No Messi means we're still a mediocre European success club.

JamDav1982

Romario is maybe only second to Messi in best finisher have seen.

Attitude let him down but absolutely world class and a top player. His record at Barca is skewed a bit by how he acted in second season after WC and more or less fucked about at club until left.

fergus90

Attitude let him down but absolutely world class and a top player. His record at Barca is skewed a bit by how he acted in second season after WC and more or less fucked about at club until left.

Was just about to say the same thing. He was a ridiculous finisher and even then half the time was more focused on partying.

Messi983

This is my favourite Romario goal alongside the obvious one in El clasico. Just give those I don't give a fuck vibes but at the same time brilliant.

And well, then there is this...

Johan Cruyff: ?One day, Romario asked me if he could miss training to go to Brazil for carnival. I said: ?If you score 2 goals tomorrow you can go.? He scored twice in 20 minutes against Real Madrid and asked to be replaced. ?Coach, my plane leaves in 1 hour.??.

Neyboy should learn from him. :lol:

FinBarcelonafan

This is my favourite Romario goal alongside the obvious one in El clasico. Just give those I don't give a fuck vibes but at the same time brilliant.

And well, then there is this...

Johan Cruyff: ?One day, Romario asked me if he could miss training to go to Brazil for carnival. I said: ?If you score 2 goals tomorrow you can go.? He scored twice in 20 minutes against Real Madrid and asked to be replaced. ?Coach, my plane leaves in 1 hour.??.

Neyboy should learn from him. :lol:

That's a good story. :koeman:

Zidane82

Anyone seen the clip from yesterday ... where he jumped the pitch wall then climbed up three levels of stands to hand his shirt to a young fan .. then bounded over the four fences like a mountain goat !?

Barcilliant

Romario was a better finisher than Messi imo. Messi is the superior player but I've yet to see a better finisher.

Barcilliant

Isn't Romario slightly overrated on our forum?

Why is he mentioned among all time greats at all?

Romario had 65 matches and 39 goals for Barca.
1-2 years later (similar era), Ronaldo9 had 49 matches and 47 goals.

Romario's career outside of Brasil was far from all time great's.

He banged goals at Brasil, Psv.
Played 18 months at Barca and 12 matches for Valencia.

You can't go on stats. Defenders were alot better back than and alot dirtier. Refs allowed them to get away with alot.
No way Messi and Ronaldo score that many goals back in the day. When R9 had that sole season at Barca people were amazed by his goal output and he scored less than a goal a game.

Yannik

You can't go on stats. Defenders were alot better back than

Based on what though? I feel like people say that mostly out of nostalgy. Game was much slower and while there were overall some great players in the 80s/90s, they were surrounded by team mates and opponents far inferior to them. There was some depth issues, teams were consisting of 50% absolute elite stars and 50% players that could've just aswell played 2nd division.

It was super fun to watch, more fun than today even. But that doesn't really mean it was of higher quality. Athleticism today is a different level than it 30-40 years ago.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Based on what though? I feel like people say that mostly out of nostalgy. Game was much slower and while there were overall some great players in the 80s/90s, they were surrounded by team mates and opponents far inferior to them. There was some depth issues, teams were consisting of 50% absolute elite stars and 50% players that could've just aswell played 2nd division.

It was super fun to watch, more fun than today even. But that doesn't really mean it was of higher quality. Athleticism today is a different level than it 30-40 years ago.

I agree with that.
The aggregation of talents makes offense much stronger and defense more difficult.
In addition, the game evolved tactically, back then a lot of teams relied on old school 9 who plays most part in the penalty area, which is the easiest to defend IMHO.
Nowadays it is more spread, with wingers and players who are acting as second strikers and playing outside of penalty area, a 9 in most cases will need to be able to play with his back to the goal and open spaces to his teammates etc.

Home of Barca Fans