Erling Haaland

fergus90

He only played 15 mins in the 2017 final, but his substitute appearance changed the game in 2018. Obviously scored in the 2014 final also and that Copa Del Rey final goal too.

He pretty much repaid his transfer fee with those goals alone. Obviously post 2018 final his Real career has de-railed somewhat but was class before then.

serghei

He only played 15 mins in the 2017 final, but his substitute appearance changed the game in 2018. Obviously scored in the 2014 final also and that Copa Del Rey final goal too.

He pretty much repaid his transfer fee with those goals alone. Obviously post 2018 final his Real career has de-railed somewhat but was class before then.

I can agree he was worth it for big goals at the right moment, but wouldn't call Bale a full success story. That would be papering a whole lot of cracks. Not like he played a big role consistently in those campaigns.

Vs Liverpool was a bit like Eder vs France for Portugal.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I can agree he was worth it for big goals at the right moment, but wouldn't call Bale a success story. That would be papering a whole lot of cracks.

His signing was a huge success for Real even allowing for way it has finished.

It is why they renewed him on such a huge contract in first place.

Their mistake was not letting him leave to China on a free. That is on them.

KingLeo10

The only galactico signing who has lived up to the price through and through is CR7 to RM. 450 goals over 9 years for 0 dollars :lol: But he's an anomaly among galacticos because he has a rare obsession and self-motivation that most galacticos don't.

After that, I would probably put in Suarez and Neymar to Barca, and ZZ to RM. Excellent signings that were key to big trophies, but could have won more if more motivated.

After that, the likes of Bale and such. Moderate success to full success, depending on how much you value those CL finals goals.

But it's a whole lot of absolute flops in there too: Kaka, Coutinho, Dembele (so far), Griezmann, Lukaku, Pogba, Hazard etc.

Last edited:

serghei

The only galactico signing who has lived up to the price through and through is CR7 to RM. 450 goals over 9 years for 0 dollars :lol: But he's an anomaly among galacticos because he has a rare obsession and self-motivation that most galacticos don't.

After that, I would probably put in Suarez and Neymar to Barca, and ZZ to RM.

After that, the likes of Bale and such. Moderate success to full success, depending on how much you value those CL finals goals.

But it's a whole lot of absolute flops in there too: Kaka, Coutinho, Dembele (so far), Griezmann, Lukaku, Pogba etc.

0 dollars for Cristiano Ronaldo? He cost a lot for 2009 market.

My guess is Madrid win those finals without Bale as well. Ramos goal was absolutely key vs Atletico, as they were spent and defeated after it. And vs Karius... :lol: if it's not Bale that guy lets in another random one as he was basically a Segunda keeper who found himself somehow in a CL final.

That 2-1 goal vs Liverpool was his moment though. Overall a pretty interesting and odd case, a player being so-so, but having some good highlights here and there.

How is that much different than key goals by Belletti, Kluivert vs Milan in CL final, Havertz last year vs City etc...

Last edited:

Messigician

After that, I would probably put in Suarez and Neymar to Barca, and ZZ to RM. Excellent signings that were key to big trophies, but could have won more if more motivated.

But it's a whole lot of absolute flops in there too: Kaka, Coutinho, Dembele (so far), Griezmann, Lukaku, Pogba etc.

For zero?

Man reckons he played for free and not 800k a week

JamDav1982

What is this 'Galactico' claim?

That Mbappe as a 'Galactico' makes Real worse or cant get on level of others who have spent less?

Does Mbappe and Haaland together and two 'Galacticos' make the team worse again and onto something that can never win?

Does Haaland at City make them worse with a 'Galactico'?

Or is it everyone else can get better with those players but not Barca?

Spare me the 'Barca are different as cant afford it' argument and assuming all things equal and can be afforded what is the claim?

KingLeo10

What is this 'Galactico' claim?

That Mbappe as a 'Galactico' makes Real worse or cant get on level of others who have spent less?

Does Mbappe and Haaland together and two 'Galacticos' make the team worse again and onto something that can never win?

Does Haaland at City make them worse with a 'Galactico'?

Or is it everyone else can get better with those players but not Barca?

We need to stop putting Mbappe and Haaland in the same comparisons or sentence first of all.

Mbappe has key goals in WC KOs, CL KOs, and WC final. Haaland (yes I understand weaker teams) has not delivered much except for 2 goals v PSG 2 years ago. Mbappe is a made man and if he commands a 200 M fee in today's market, I don't mind that. I might even be willing to pay that much if Barca had the money.

Haaland needs to show more before we risk 300-350M and those crazy amounts on him.

JamDav1982

We need to stop putting Mbappe and Haaland in the same comparisons or sentence first of all.

Mbappe has key goals in WC KOs, CL KOs, and WC final. Haaland (yes I understand weaker teams) has not delivered much except for 2 goals v PSG 2 years ago. Mbappe is a made man and if he commands a 200 M fee in today's market, I don't mind that. I might even be willing to pay that much if Barca had the money.

Haaland needs to show more before we risk 300-350M and those crazy amounts on him.

Nah I dont not for this point when both are being held up as Galacticos.

So the argument is expensive signings can work if get the right ones. Agreed.

No one is paying Haaland 350m across his contract.

mc_lovin

Mbappe expensive and worth it for PSG.

Individually sure, but it's hard to look past their team performances. He was brought for insane money, leaves on a free and achieved nothing of note. Wouldn't call that worth it, but I see your point.

His game vs United's kids is one for the ages as well.

Birdy

Jammy clueless as usual throwing big cliches

No, Serghei is 100% right.
Perez's Galactico strategy failed the first time around, and won only 1 CL after the implemented the strategy,
and the 2nd time the CLs were more down to Zidane and his abilities (black magic or whatever), CR, Kroos and Modric who were never galacticos,
than the Galactico strategy itself

Revisionist accounts of history at its best!

Home of Barca Fans