Erling Haaland

JamDav1982

Jammy clueless as usual throwing big cliches

No, Serghei is 100% right.
Perez's Galactico strategy failed the first time around, and won only 1 CL after the implemented the strategy,
and the 2nd time the CLs were more down to Zidane and his abilities (black magic or whatever), CR, Kroos and Modric who were never galacticos,
than the Galactico strategy itself

Revisionist accounts of history at its best!

Birdy you have lost every argument to date. Pipe down.

You are agreeing with Serghie then arguing with him on what Galactico means you buffoon.

No one is claiming the 'Galacticos' period under Perez worked numpty. Try to keep up.

serghei

Nah I dont not for this point when both are being held up as Galacticos.

So the argument is expensive signings can work if get the right ones. Agreed.

No one is paying Haaland 350m across his contract.

The argument is cost/benefit ratio needs to be right. 300-350m can build you a CL winning team in the right hands. Is getting Haaland only with not much investment in defense and other positions going to give you that output?

I doubt it.

JamDav1982

The argument is cost/benefit ratio needs to be right. 300-350m can build you a CL winning team in the right hands. Is getting Haaland only with not much investment in defense and other positions going to give you that output?

I doubt it.

So the issue is not expensive players or Galacticos as you call them dont work.

Agreed.

And no one is paying a cost of Haaland at 350m.

You are saying City and Real are worse off if spend big on Haaland. I dont agree.

Or claiming these quoted numbers are for Barca anyway.

serghei

Does Mbappe as a 'Galactico' make Real worse?

Does Haaland on top of him make them worse?

Does Haaland make City worse?

No, Mbappe is getting a Ferrari for Ferrari money (or even BMW money considering his special situation).

Haaland is seeing a front light, a bumper, and paying Ferrari money to see what it is. It can be Ferrari, or it can be these new hot-looking budget Hondas that look like a Ferrari but go from 0 to 100 in 10 seconds.

City can afford going for Haaland since the penalty for getting it wrong is almost none.

Birdy

Birdy you have lost every argument to date. Pipe down.

You are agreeing with Serghie then arguing with him on what Galactico means you buffoon.

No one is claiming the 'Galacticos' period under Perez worked numpty. Try to keep up.
'lost every argument to date' :lol:
Yup, inside your distorted brain maybe

You are arguing with super simplistic lines whether Mbape or Haaland makes a team worse.
it's the Galactico strategy as a whole that doesn't work

JamDav1982

'lost every argument to date' :lol:
Yup, inside your distorted brain maybe

You are arguing with super simplistic lines whether Mbape or Haaland makes a team worse.
it's the Galactico strategy as a whole that doesn't work

Yip you have.

Try to keep up with what is being said rather than wading in with usual dirge.

Take a few mins and catch up.

No one is claiming any club should be trying 'Galactico' strategy Perez has 20 odd years ago. Try again.

JamDav1982

No, Mbappe is getting a Ferrari for Ferrari money (or even BMW money considering his special situation).

Haaland is seeing a front light, a bumper, and paying Ferrari money to see what it is. It can be Ferrari, or it can be these new hot-looking budget Hondas that look like a Ferrari but go from 0 to 100 in 10 seconds.

City can afford going for Haaland since the penalty for getting it wrong is almost none.

The argument is not now that 'galacticos' dont work but they wont work if rest of team is not good enough to support them.

Again I agree... but I think Barca with Haaland are one of CL favs and would compete.

Does Haaland make City/Real worse if he goes there for same money it would take to get him to Barca? If you were them would you pay the money? For likes of City it has big impact as the EPL still has spending rules as does La Liga so not free shot at him.

Fairly changed argument now.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

The argument is cost/benefit ratio needs to be right. 300-350m can build you a CL winning team Europe dominating altogether in the right hands. Is getting Haaland only going to give you that?

I doubt it.

We don't need to build a team though - we already have a good one by the looks of it. One or two smart "galacticos" would help us a lot more than a bunch of good/decent players in the 40m range (not including direct substitutes for good/decent 40m'ish players like Dembele - just taking our current squad as reference point).

Problem is there are no unproblematic/smart galactico signings (+our financial situation obviously).

fergus90

I'd say the true galactico era was 2001-2004 era where they bought Ronaldo, Figo, Zidane, Beckham, Owen etc. Pretty much whoever was finishing top 3 in the Balon D'or list and then had the likes of Pavon at the back.

Horribly imbalanced team, especially after Makelele left.

Kaka was the only 2009 disaster and they recruited very well with the likes of Pepe, Benzema, Alonso, Marcelo a long the way so Perez learnt his lesson from the early 00's.

JamDav1982

We don't need to build a team though - we already have a good one by the looks of it. One or two smart "galacticos" would help us a lot more than a bunch of good/decent players in the 40m range (not including direct substitutes for good/decent 40m'ish players like Dembele - just taking our current squad as reference point).

Problem is there are no unproblematic/smart galactico signings (+our financial situation obviously).

That is my point.

Barca with Haaland are one of the CL favourites and have best young team going.

Wont happen but this idea it stalls the team development is ridiculous.

Also his costs are somewhat covered in sponsors/better league and CL performances/arses on seats etc.

serghei

The argument is not now that 'galacticos' dont work but they wont work if rest of team is not good enough to support them.

Again I agree... but I think Barca with Haaland are one of CL favs and would compete.

Does Haaland make City/Real worse if he goes there for same money it would take to get him to Barca? If you were them would you pay the money? For likes of City it has big impact as the EPL still has spending rules as does La Liga so not free shot at him.

Fairly changed argument now.

I think you are smart enough to realize I'm speaking about galacticos in the context of current Barca. If I'm supporting City or PSG, funded by some oils state, fuck it, go to down, what the fuck do I care if some Emir spends 300m on some player and he flops. Sell a yacht or something and try again.

serghei

Kaka was a disaster as he got injured.

Same could happen to Mbappe or any player.

Hazard got injured too. :coffee:

Problem is Madrid got some Galacticos based on hype (James), and also some galacticos who were actually past their best (Kaka), or way past their best and on their last legs (Hazard).

JamDav1982

I think you are smart enough to realize I'm speaking about galacticos in the context of current Barca. If I'm supporting City or PSG, funded by some oils state, fuck it, go to down, what the fuck do I care if some Emir spends 300m on some player and he flops. Sell a yacht or something.

No you are pointing to other teams and saying Galacticos are thing of the past but now it is just Barca as dont want to go as far to say those signings make other teams worse.

Haaland would be immense signing for Barca and compliment an already very good young team and not a team that needs huge money spent on it.

City cant do that to get Haaland and the cost impacts them due to league rules as would Real.

It is big risk for them both also.

Home of Barca Fans