Ivan Rakitić

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Rakitic is playing like a wide DM. He's allowed almost zero creative power except what he can find on a deflection or clearance.

Doesn't get to dribble. Doesn't get to link up. Doesn't get to run at defenses. Doesn't get to lead counters. Doesn't get many shooting opportunities. Nothing.

All he gets is defensive duties on the right and simple circulation of the ball so that Alves can go forward or Busquets can change the play to the left.

Just a terrible midfield flow on this team right now entirely down to tactics.

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
Rakitic is playing like a wide DM. He's allowed almost zero creative power except what he can find on a deflection or clearance.

Doesn't get to dribble. Doesn't get to link up. Doesn't get to run at defenses. Doesn't get to lead counters. Doesn't get many shooting opportunities. Nothing.

All he gets is defensive duties on the right and simple circulation of the ball so that Alves can go forward or Busquets can change the play to the left.

Just a terrible midfield flow on this team right now entirely down to tactics.

I agree. His passing was sloppy too today. I feel like Rakitic is being misused like Alexis was at times: only there to return simple passes to Messi.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I agree. His passing was sloppy too today. I feel like Rakitic is being misused like Alexis was at times: only there to return simple passes to Messi.

His instructions on the field seem to be clean up other's mistakes but don't make a mistake yourself... There's no aim or purpose for his presence on the field other than that, but that's on the coach and not the player...

aondoe

His instructions on the field seem to be clean up other's mistakes but don't make a mistake yourself... There's no aim or purpose for his presence on the field other than that, but that's on the coach and not the player...

Very much this. Though I thought Lucho did well in the second half, I thought Rakitic looked stifled, confused and aimless throughout the game.

barcanuck

A bit better tonight but not the same Raki we saw in the first 5 games. Seems a bit lost out there with Busi and Xavi though.

Neeraj

Though I do agree with the fact that he's being played way out of position and that he's a much better player when played more centrally, it is a bit frustrating to see the more individual skill based aspects of his game dip since the start of the season though. His first touch, his passing accuracy, etc. These are just footballing skills you would have irrespective of where you play. Hope it's just a confidence thing and he gets that back along with his position in the center.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

If it only was so simple, problem is that he does make many mistakes - like footyfan mentioned, Raki "gets any mildly difficult pass wrong".

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
If it only was so simple, problem is that he does make many mistakes - like footyfan mentioned, Raki "gets any mildly difficult pass wrong".

Yeah, I didn't mean he didn't screw up, I was commenting more on what it looks like Lucho is telling him... He's just there not knowing what to do, so he eentually ends up making a mistake...

In a way he reminds me of Alexis, he is being asked to play against his instincts, so he has to think twice everything, which leads to mistakes...

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Though I do agree with the fact that he's being played way out of position and that he's a much better player when played more centrally, it is a bit frustrating to see the more individual skill based aspects of his game dip since the start of the season though. His first touch, his passing accuracy, etc. These are just footballing skills you would have irrespective of where you play. Hope it's just a confidence thing and he gets that back along with his position in the center.

I agree, but some people seem to ignore this obvious fact. Every single time he is out under pressure he's going to lose the ball or pass it back to the defenders. While I agree that how we play at the moment doesn't really help Raki or the other midfielders - that we don't form triangels, help each other out, lose markers so they can receive a pass etc - Raki's inferior technique is shining through. Even Bartra, our CB ffs, keeps his head cooler, passes better and doesn't get stressed under some pressure as soon as somebody comes even remotely close to him. We complained Cesc was not cut out to be a midfielder for us, Raki's qualities are even worse. Raki could be an of the bench Keita kind of player, but Xavi only has this season left in him and we need starting quality world-freaking-class midfielder to replace him.

BBZ8800

Hope it's just a confidence thing and he gets that back along with his position in the center.

He will be better.
I think that a huge pressure scared him currently.

He played lots of huge matches for Croatia, and he was always more or less very good.
He was never so bad with passing as currently.

He needs to babysit for Alves, he can't go forward, then we had a few weaker results, people started to have doubts about him, he is slightly pressured currently plus he also probably doesn't have a clue (neither does Lucho) what is his position in a team...
Plus, he hasn't clicked yet with his teammates.

He can play much better.
Especially if we had a better coach.

Home of Barca Fans