Ivan Rakitić

Vilarrubi

@iamrohith That was in relation the stats what were posted.. How can he have good through ball stats with Carlos Bacca up front as a lone striker for a lot of games? If he had Messi/Neymar/Alexis/Pedro in front of him he would be able to show his ability more.

Icarium

Lifestealer
The guy hasn't even played 1 minute for Barça yet... We can't wait on Cesc forever, that's the accurate sentence.

Cesc ship sailed already. There is nothing we can do now. We waited long enough for him. Now i hope we don't have to do the same thing with Rakitic. It is a huge gamble imo. But relying on rakitic and selling cesc is very hard to justify. Now who will replace xavi. Sure it can't be Rakitic, he is not that kind of player. Rafinha??

If there is any truth to those xavi rumors i think we should go for another midfielder. As much as i hate xavi leaving his wages are too much and it will increase through every year of his contract. We could afford 2 players who can help the team more than xavi with that salary.

F

Flavia

Cesc ship sailed already. There is nothing we can do now. We waited long enough for him. Now i hope we don't have to do the same thing with Rakitic. It is a huge gamble imo. But relying on rakitic and selling cesc is very hard to justify. Now who will replace xavi. Sure it can't be Rakitic, he is not that kind of player. Rafinha??
Cesc would never replace Xavi, he showed he would never be able to this past 3 years. Replacing Cesc with rakitic is completely justifiable. Cesc was just an expensive option on the bench. Cesc goes for 33m, rakitic in for less, and there's a profit.

Vilarrubi

@iamrohith How is it a huge gamble?? A player who has proven himself in La Liga already.. coming to a better team with better players around him?

Egert

Estonian Culé
Barcelona and Sevilla want to officially announce the transfer of Sevilla midfielder Ivan Rakitic to Barcelona in the coming hours. [ser]

Icarium

Lifestealer
Cesc would never replace Xavi, he showed he would never be able to this past 3 years. Replacing Cesc with rakitic is completely justifiable. Cesc was just an expensive option on the bench. Cesc goes for 33m, rakitic in for less, and there's a profit.

Yeah i know but it is too late now. If there was no cesc then thiago could have stayed here. Then there would be no problems. But Thiago is injury prone so problems not completely gone. We replaced cesc yes but what about xavi, we also need to replace Xavi. May be we can do the gamble and hope lucho makes the team such that we don't need a xavi type of player compulsorily. So Rakitic Iniesta and Busi in the midfield. It is strange to imagine... Let us see how it will work out.

Icarium

Lifestealer
@iamrohith How is it a huge gamble?? A player who has proven himself in La Liga already.. coming to a better team with better players around him?

It is a huge gamble seeing how sevilla play and barcelona play. Two very different styles and he is not some world class player to adapt easily. He is good but not the level of cesc. Cesc was a great player already when he came back to barca. we all know how it worked out. We can not assume his play style suits barca more than cesc. Players who played in direct style and when came to barca they suffered mostly. I hope i am wrong. But i would not be surprised if he can't get success here.

I hope xavi has some more good minutes in his career if this thing fails.

Vilarrubi

@Semi-Neutral So you think a player who plays in the same league would come to Barca and play worse? lol the chance of Rakitic coming to Barca and not being as good as at Sevilla is actually laughable.

@iamrohith Have you watched him this season? Or just the YouTube Videos? Yes a lot of his assists have been freekicks and some corners.. Are you saying he can't deliver that accuracy on the floor? If you actually watch him he does fit into Barca's style he has just not been able to play like that at Sevilla. Cesc is good against average/poor teams.. what does he do in big games?

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
So you think a player who plays in the same league would come to Barca and play worse?

Sure, if the system they play in is different from ours then of course they won't be suited for us. For example, Bale would be a lot worse for us then for Real because he's not particularly good at passing and dribbling. Just because he plays in La Liga doesn't mean he would do well for us.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Are you saying he can't deliver that accuracy on the floor? If you actually watch him he does fit into Barca's style he has just not been able to play like that at Sevilla. Cesc is good against average/poor teams.. what does he do in big games?

I can understand your hate against cesc but let us not get too forward of ourselves. Yes his accuracy will be great at barca. Song has some amazing passing accuracy. But it is not about that. It is about being able to control the game like a puppeteer. But may be just may be we don't need a player like that.

Rakitic might fit barca better than cesc. But i don't know if that is sufficient to compete for trophies. Rakitic don't know how he will pan out. Rafinha and Roberto too young. Xavi too old. So only iniesta left.

Maria

@iamrohith That was in relation the stats what were posted.. How can he have good through ball stats with Carlos Bacca up front as a lone striker for a lot of games? If he had Messi/Neymar/Alexis/Pedro in front of him he would be able to show his ability more.

At the same time some might argue that having Messi in front of you might affect those stats(see how Messi is blamed for this to deffend Xavi) or that is harder to actually make those through balls when almost everybody is parking the bus when they play against Barca.

@Semi-Neutral So you think a player who plays in the same league would come to Barca and play worse? lol the chance of Rakitic coming to Barca and not being as good as at Sevilla is actually laughable.

Why wouldn't that be possible? And not only because of Barca's style or because he won't have the team built around him, but simply because there are players who simply don't have the mentality to be a succes at a big club.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

@Semi-Neutral You took that out of context.. We are talking about Rakitic coming from a mediocre team. Sevilla are no Real Madrid. That's why I followed on by saying the chances are slim that Rakitic would be worse at Barca.

BarcaJack

Another problem about Cesc: he has played in the highest level for too long. Making over 300 appearance for Arsenal before 24 may has already burned out his energy and passion for football. I think hewas already too tired and probably passed his prime when we signed him. And even if we keep him, he is more likely to decline. So it may be a good idea to replace him with a fresh and motivated Ivan Rakitic.
Personally I'm not entirely convinced by Rakitic's technical skills, especially the short passes (or maybe I haven't seen enough of his game). Welcome anyway. Should be a interesting signing.

Home of Barca Fans