Joan Laporta

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Well I'm still a laporta fan but the sponsorship issue is a concern. Where will the missing revenue come from? We need to maximise every possible source to keep up and maintain success with the likes of Real, Bayern and the EPL clubs making money hand over fist

He is most likely just talking BS to get back at Rosell/Bartomeu and gain popularity. I am sure if he is elected, he will have to ditch this crazy idea of having no main jersey sponsor. It simply can't be done without losing so much revenue.

I

instinct

He had 5 years to prepare to get back as Barca president, elections where called 6 months ago, and now less than a month before elections he doesn't yet have a program aside general popular promises.
He doesn't strike me as a guy ready to take over.

Who says that he doesn't have a program? That's pure speculation at this point. Bartomeu hasn't revealed his actual plans either. There's no need to bash Laporta because he didn't reveal everything he has in mind in today's presser.

khaled_a_d

I don't get the whole "what is Abidal credential to be sporting director" ? I mean what is the needed credential anyway?
Txiki was just a retired player when he took charge ,Monchi who many people like became sporting director only 1 year after retirement .what was his credential?
Many players are seen as future coach or sporting directors during their playing career with those who works with them .those are the ones who know if a player can excel in one of those roles
I am not saying Abidal will be good .I have no idea,may be he is gonna be gr8,mmay be he is gonna be awful .that is something to hold judgement until(if) he works

JamDav1982

I don't get the whole "what is Abidal credential to be sporting director" ? I mean what is the needed credential anyway?
Txiki was just a retired player when he took charge ,Monchi who many people like became sporting director only 1 year after retirement .what was his credential?
Many players are seen as future coach or sporting directors during their playing career with those who works with them .those are the ones who know if a player can excel in one of those roles
I am not saying Abidal will be good .I have no idea,may be he is gonna be gr8,mmay be he is gonna be awful .that is something to hold judgement until(if) he works

My fear would be that Abidal is too close to the players to make tough decisions.

For example the Alves contract talks. Alves tried to play games to get more money or a longer contract but it didnt work as club held firm and he came back to deal that was on the table.

Would Abidal be prepared to upset his former colleagues for the good of the club?

I dont agree that the players have to love the President or the Director of Football etc, that can be a recipe for disaster in some ways if they relax too much.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

This. Big this. Besides the likes of Abidal, Puyol and others have been shadowing/following the work of other sporting directors around the world and have been following those courses.

My fear would be that Abidal is too close to the players to make tough decisions.

For example the Alves contract talks. Alves tried to play games to get more money or a longer contract but it didnt work as club held firm and he came back to deal that was on the table.

Would Abidal be prepared to upset his former colleagues for the good of the club?

I dont agree that the players have to love the President or the Director of Football etc, that can be a recipe for disaster in some ways if they relax too much.

You have a legit point.

Let me shoot a counter argument though,

Would having Abida as Sporting Director, a friend of the players, help us in negotiations with players instead? Reach an agreement early on and all that.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans