Oscar dos Santos Emboaba Júnior

Truthist

Solari coached Brazil to the world cup in '02, this time he royally screwed them.

I still find it hard to fathom what he was thinking, was he serious about winning it with so many subpar players?

The mind boggles bit then age makes you more stubborn I guess and Scolari took it to unprecedented levels.

F

Flavia

Solari coached Brazil to the world cup in '02, this time he royally screwed them.

I still find it hard to fathom what he was thinking, was he serious about winning it with so many subpar players?

The mind boggles bit then age makes you more stubborn I guess and Scolari took it to unprecedented levels.

He wasn't the same coach. No, let me rephrase that, he was still the same coach from 2002. Completely outdated. Before coaching the nt, his latest achievement was getting one of Brazil's bigger teams, Palmeiras, relegated to serie b. He resigned from palmeiras after that, and cbf thought it'd be a good idea to give him the job again. Jo being part of the wc nt was really a joke.

Truthist

He wasn't the same coach. No, let me rephrase that, he was still the same coach from 2002. Completely outdated. Before coaching the nt, his latest achievement was getting one of Brazil's bigger teams, Palmeiras, relegated to serie b. He resigned from palmeiras after that, and cbf thought it'd be a good idea to give him the job again. Jo being part of the wc nt was really a joke.

Jo wasn't the only one in hindsight. I know many will say it was the same squad that won the confederations cup BUT that was a year earlier and the confederations cup is nothing in comparison to the WC.

CuleLife4Life

Dunga is still ignoring Coutinho for Oscar. Same as Scolari. Coutinho may as well not even get called up as it seems like Oscar's spot is cemented under Dunga for being the opposite of Coutinho.

As far as Scolari, there were several players coming to the tournament with horrible club form including Oscar. Brazilian managers have a fear of trying out new guys anytime World Cup is on the horizon.

EdmondDantes

Oscar had a good World Cup I thought, Brazil certainly did not lose because of him.

As for Dunga starting Coutinho, I would want him to but, with the way Willian and Oscar have played in these 7 games, it's hard for him to change much when both are delivering the goods. Willian for example, with a bit of freedom, is a completely different animal.

Mourinho shackles players too much. I have my doubts Cuadrado will even get a game for Chelsea as he does not appear to possess the graft and hard work (with effieciency at least) of Oscar or Willian. And he wasn't scoring or assisting much in the Serie A either.

BrazilFan

He started Coutinho today and Oscar didn't play a minute and Brazil struggled badly in midfield. Both aren't really better than the other IMO. Different players, different characteristics. Both should probably start though as I think they would mesh well as far as what they bring to the table but as the above poster mention Willian has been delivering in all of Dunga games in charged

Last edited:

Truthist

I watched the game and Coutinho didn't convince but he never was going to given the drastic changes Dunga made. You can't make 6 changes against a good side and expect chemistry.

Coutinho is at his best centrally and he was placed on the wing. It didn't help the few times he did get the ball and passed it in to Neymar, he was on a mission to score a golanzo. Neymar needs to be told it's a team game first and foremost.

Last edited:

CuleLife4Life

Dunga threw Coutinho in a game filled with mediocre midfielders and against a team where Coutinho can't show his best qualities. Fact is, Dunga doesn't want the likes of Coutinho playing for him but only choose him because he has great club form. He blasted Scolari for ignoring Coutinho in an interview he did with Brazilian TV but is barely using him when it counts.

BrazilFan

Nah, he made 6 changes to give others a shot. It's unfair to call these players from all over Europe and give them 3 mins of playing time or none at all.

CuleLife4Life

Nah, he made 6 changes to give others a shot. It's unfair to call these players from all over Europe and give them 3 mins of playing time or none at all.

Then Dunga needs to learn how to sub better. Brazil was up 2 goals to France by the 70th minute of the game yet Dunga still waited until the last 5 minutes to give players time. And to be honest, the only player of the subs who has quality enough to be a starter is Coutinho. He should be playing some minutes with the first team. Not with a bunch of B-list guys like Souza and Douglas Costa. He looked really lost with them today although looked great with the ball.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Interesting. Mourinho on Oscar:
Oscar was replaced at half-time by the Portuguese after another disappointing performance in which he failed to make a telling contribution, badly dragging his only chance well wide.

When asked about the performance of the Brazilian, Mourinho answered cryptically.

"I don’t think he had a bad performance, I just think he was not good enough, which is a huge difference," he said; far from a stern defence.

xavi_the_Boss

Interesting. Mourinho on Oscar:
Oscar was replaced at half-time by the Portuguese after another disappointing performance in which he failed to make a telling contribution, badly dragging his only chance well wide.

When asked about the performance of the Brazilian, Mourinho answered cryptically.

"I don’t think he had a bad performance, I just think he was not good enough, which is a huge difference," he said; far from a stern defence.

Pogba to Chelsea and Oscar to Juve.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
He'd be good, but I'd much rather have Koke or Gundogan, I think Oscar doesn't have the experience at CM given how he's played out of position all the time (IMO) to do really well here

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Mourinho could pull a shifty and sell Oscar to buy Koke. We're interested, and would probably be better value than Pogba.

Home of Barca Fans