Penal Madrid

SEvolution

Guillem Balague[Spanish football journalist] informed Sky Sports says that Casillas said he wants to "break Mourinho's face with one punch."

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Guillem Balague[Spanish football journalist] informed Sky Sports says that Casillas said he wants to "break Mourinho's face with one punch."

As much fun as it this sounds, I have my suspicions over Balague's knowledge of what's going inside the capital club.

JackaL

The thing about benching Iker is not just a poor performance and the right of the manager to bench any player kind of issue. Surely, the manager is the boss of the team and decides who to line up and whom not, according to his strategy and tactics. But in this case, there's more to that thing. Let's assume Iker was the leader of the ring opposing Mourinho and wanting him sacked. If that is the case, you could do that by giving a press conference, explaining your observations in the last matches and trainings and that you have come to a decision to call somebody else as captain (Pepe? Ronaldo? Alonso?) and want to bench Iker etc. But benching Iker and stating that Adan is performing better lately is pure politics and you don't get out of the issue quickly. Let's see what happens. I wouldn't defend Mourinho in this case...

El Gato

Villarato!
wolfe amazes me
iker is no raul in this, he still is one of the best gks in the world so there should be no debate about that
Mou wants to destabilize RM and after he is sacked he can have his arguments

What's so amazing in me discussing a football aspect of the decision and you discussing the politics aspect? We're talking about two different things and your POV can be as valid as mine can.

Whether you think my POV is stupid, because you don't see what I'm saying is your own case mate.

Yugi

What's so amazing in me discussing a football aspect of the decision and you discussing the politics aspect? We're talking about two different things and your POV can be as valid as mine can.

Whether you think my POV is stupid, because you don't see what I'm saying is your own case mate.

I am discussing footballing aspect in which Mou failed to rationalize, Iker is still one of the top and it´s not the same situation as with Raul...GKs last much longer than field players and Iker is hardly underperforming and not meeting RM criteria. If he is than whole team with Mourinho is...so why not just drop whole squad and play reservers, benchwarmers?

It´s pure Mourinho and Iker being disrespectful towards themselves, they are twats and they egos have met, just like it was happening from beginning (yes, there are reports of Mou and Ramos/Iker having clashes), but bad thing for Iker is that Mou makes decisions...
anyway I am enjoying this situation in Madrid and I hope it lasts for long but I guess I will focus more on Barca and will try to ignore Madrid even more than I am doing already

JonM

Between Iker and Mourinno, I'd think that the one having the long-term best interest of Real Madrid in mind is Iker. He'll be there long after Mourihno is gone and he'll have to deal with the aftermaths. If anything, doing an awful job and creating conflits benefit Mourinho because he would touch a ridiculous sum of money if he's sacked. For a normal manager, it would have a big impact on future job offers but because Mourinho can do no wrong in the mind of many fans and journalists, especially in England, it won't matter. The blame will be put on the spanish faction making Real Madrid unmaneageble.

Last edited:

Doobs

The Messiah
That was Mou's plan all along, he's just setting up his getaway. He wants to come out looking like the victim.

Stric

Why is everone saying this is a clash of egos, or anything like that? I don't remember reading anything anywhere about Iker complaining. Sure, he's probably not happy with this situation, but you cannot tell that from anything he's said or done. There's probably a conflict between him and Mou, but Casillas (unlike some) has behaved like a professional the entire time.

El Gato

Villarato!
I am discussing footballing aspect in which Mou failed to rationalize, Iker is still one of the top and it´s not the same situation as with Raul...GKs last much longer than field players and Iker is hardly underperforming and not meeting RM criteria. If he is than whole team with Mourinho is...so why not just drop whole squad and play reservers, benchwarmers?

Well, he could do that, but that doesn't solve the problem. He tries to find the best solution to get the results to come his way, because some players are clearly unmotivated or unsure about the team as it is. The dropping of players like Di Maria, Ozil, Ramos, now Casillas may look like a pattern, but it also confirms what we see on the pitch. These guys are having a bad season. Not to say that the players like Pepe or Xabi don't, because they do. Thing is, Mou is trying anything to separate the players who still work their asses off on the pitch from those who don't put nearly as much effort in. That's why you see guys like Essien or Callejon on the pitch more often than not despite their inferiority to some other players in the team.

Plus it's easier to replace a keeper than a whole set of formations. Ramos was annoyed by that, because he is a homer type of a player who will be behind the players more than he would be behind his coach (his alleged disagreements with Mourinho in Sept/Oct period, bench against City, Ozil shirt underneath his one). But that doesn't change the fact that all the decisions made by Mourinho have some sports-related basis. Ozil was crap for most of the year and he got his bench time with Modrić replacing him, same with Benzema being benched early on for Higuain despite being favored by Mourinho as a player. Same thing with Casillas, which is unfortunate because he is a great keeper, but when you don't perform, you don't perform.

And seriously man, I can tell you Iker pissed off a whole bunch of madridistas, maybe not in Spain because they are biased towards his NT glory, but in other countries? I know some guys here in the UK who said they pity we don't have a reserve keeper to keep him motivated to perform better and on a more consistent level and I know couple of forums in my home language where they were pissed at his mistakes costing us points last season vs Villarreal and Malaga and in the beginning of this season vs a whole load of teams (Valencia, Getafe, City, Borussia). Sometimes even just those that confirmed his poor form this year like bad air clearances or mistakes that led to goals when the match was won.

Yugi said:
It´s pure Mourinho and Iker being disrespectful towards themselves, they are twats and they egos have met, just like it was happening from beginning (yes, there are reports of Mou and Ramos/Iker having clashes), but bad thing for Iker is that Mou makes decisions...
anyway I am enjoying this situation in Madrid and I hope it lasts for long but I guess I will focus more on Barca and will try to ignore Madrid even more than I am doing already

Yeah could be, but it doesn't matter. My view is that in any case Iker is too much of a madridista to go out and complain or confirm any sort of conflict between him and his coach. I think he will simply come back after Christmas and do his absolute best in training and support his team the best he can. Especially Adan if he will get benched again for him.

Home of Barca Fans