Penal Madrid

M

mitkoa7x

If we had signed Di Stefano wouldnt Kubala have went to RM instead?

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Things aren't black and white. I think Franco's favorite team was Atletico at the time.

Barca screwed up royally with the transfer of Di Stefano. Madrid snatched him from us after he already penned a deal with Barca. Apparently we didn't make things right with River. The entire story is controversial but in the end Barca shot themselves in the foot again for letting him go completely after RFEF ruled he would play 2 seasons for us and 2 seasons for Real.
The rest is history. Di Stefano was Real's best player and scored in each of those 5 consecutive European Cups.

I don't think Franco endorsed a team until Real started winning everything - he's Spain's original glory hunter.

But yes, Atlético was the establishment team until Franco supporter Santiago Bernabeu used his contacts and guile to build up Real Madrid - before that Real was bankrupt and Atleti was owned by the air force, so it was the team of the establishment.

La LL

Generally Delightful
Spanish football: Where the past is the present.

And people ask me why I prefer La Liga over Premier League...

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I don't think Franco endorsed a team until Real started winning everything - he's Spain's original glory hunter.

But yes, Atlético was the establishment team until Franco supporter Santiago Bernabeu used his contacts and guile to build up Real Madrid - before that Real was bankrupt and Atleti was owned by the air force, so it was the team of the establishment.

Original glory hunter :lol:

Cule4life

The Culest
Now Bale is being linked to Madrid as Ronaldo stalls on his contract. If Ronaldo stays this doesn't make sense unless Bale wants to give Modric company on the bench.

Galning

Spurs royally screwed Madrid when they sold Modric. No wonder they said they wanted a long term partnership when they sealed the deal.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
You better not be implying that Madrid's first 5 European Cups had anything to do with Spains politics

I agree with this... Their first 5 cups had nothing to do with Spain's politics, they had to do with it being a friendly tournament organized by themselves...

ricknattery

I agree with this... Their first 5 cups had nothing to do with Spain's politics, they had to do with it being a friendly tournament organized by themselves...

This

At that point in that time, nobody thought the competition would become the most important football club competition in the world

Beast

The Observer
LOL

The amount of excuses trying to cover up the dominance of Real in the first 5 years of the CL never seize to amaze me....you are really still as pathetic as always :lol:

first there was two similar tournaments which tried to create an earlier champions league like the Latin cup and another one can't remember nations cup or something like that

It was all the champions of Europe , England refused to play the first one and after the GREAT SUCCESS of the first cup they asked to join the second edition with United having this honor along with the remaining few nations , competition which has the champions of Spain , England , Germany , Italy , France etc

but go one continue with your own laughable & childish version of events... you are still our bitch in the champions league ;) and the world recognize that

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
LOL

The amount of excuses trying to cover up the dominance of Real in the first 5 years of the CL never seize to amaze me....you are really still as pathetic as always :lol:

first there was two similar tournaments which tried to create an earlier champions league like the Latin cup and another one can't remember nations cup or something like that

It was all the champions of Europe , England refused to play the first one and after the GREAT SUCCESS of the first cup they asked to join the second edition with United having this honor along with the remaining few nations , competition which has the champions of Spain , England , Germany , Italy , France etc

but go one continue with your own laughable & childish version of events... you are still our bitch in the champions league ;) and the world recognize that

To be honest, maybe not now but in time it will be seen the same way as goals from years ago. People will see it as being harder to win/score nowadays than back then. And, when you look at the tournament in these days and compare it with back when it started, back then it was nothing. RM winning around the 2000 mark three times and Barca in the last 7 years 3 times is way more impressive, I don't think you can disagree on that, right?

Home of Barca Fans