Penal Madrid

Beast

The Observer
Sure. It will not be easy. But a lot of things can happen. Mourinho looks likely to leave RM. Players like di María have not impressed for a long time and struggle with consistency. Ôzil is marvelous on a good day but the same can be said about him. Benzema and Higuaín are not going to be happy with the current situation forever. What about Ronaldo? Will he stay? Will he decline?

A lot of things can change. I will pass judgement after the transfer window. But for sure it will be interesting.

If I was RM I would go after Verratti. If Carlo moves to you then that would be a logical move and a great replacement for Xabi.

Jose will leave Real this is decided since last summer , i don't see a change of heart

the difference is that you have a fixed formation , you can tweak it a little here & there but it's fixed.. make it easier for home grown to play and harder for outsider to gel in
we don't know who the next manager will be and what formation he will play with.. for example if Carlo is the one coming in i see Di Maria position is redundant
unless he turn him to Cafu 2 and play him an attacking full back i don't see him fitting in the stereotype Carlo formation
CR will /should be replaced by Bale is he is leaving (which is better ) same thing for Benz & Higuain they facilitate CR game if you remove CR we will build the game around a regular striker without counter attacks
But as u said a lot will be clearer in the summer when we know the new manager and player movements

Beast

The Observer
What do you guys think about Gündogan as a replacement for Xabi? He and Khedira looked brilliant together when playing for the German NT, do you see potential? :)

He is very good but i have my doubts about plenty of Dortmund players.. seems more a system players (like Arsenal ) than real talents that can grow anywhere
take Sahin is an example , neither do i see Kagawa the same level as before
I feel the next flop could be none other than the Polish sensation ...i could be so wrong of course it's just my feeling

loozy

He is very good but i have my doubts about plenty of Dortmund players.. seems more a system players (like Arsenal ) than real talents that can grow anywhere
take Sahin is an example , neither do i see Kagawa the same level as before
I feel the next flop could be none other than the Polish sensation ...i could be so wrong of course it's just my feeling

I am quite critical of Dortmund-players for the same reasons like you, however, Gündogan has proven to work really well in a system that is not like his team's (and he showed his ability to adapt as he used to excel for Nuremberg before transferring to Dortmund), whereas Hummels and Schmelzer and also all the Polish sensations have failed to properly deliver (neither Kuba nor Piszcek or Lewandowski play as well as they do for their club).

DucdeOrléans

I largely agree Beast. That's the difference between FCB and RM for good and bad. If I recall it was the exact opposite a decade ago or so. Also this is mainly why I will pass judgement after the transfer window rather than now because I believe a lot will change at both clubs.

If Mourinho was not eager to leave then I would agree that RM has fewer positions to strengthen than FCB.

I also agree about many of the Dortmund players. Apart from Reus, Hummels, Lewandowski and a few others then it is mostly the terrific teamwork they survive on. They will struggle in the upcoming years IMO. Bayern is not a club they can compete on on any level on the long run. Unfortunately.

But anyway I will give a huge ovation to Klopp and Dortmund in general. What they have archived in the last 3-4 years is very impressive considering where they came from.

The most improved team in Europe of the traditional "big" clubs in the last few years. If they advance to the final then you can't do anything else than cheer for them and I say this as a person who has always liked Bayern.

Regarding Gündogan then I rate him much higher than Sahin. The guy has also been impressive for Germany. But I rate Verratti higher personally.

Beast

The Observer
Well i think a lot has to do with who will be next in line.. i don't see it as a far possibility if the club decided to get back Heynckes once again
he would prefer naturally more German speaking squad and with Ozil-Khedira & Gundogan he could have his core
although i see Xabi has that last year in him and won't be replaced effectively .. he is like Makelele you won't feel his strength and what he do till he leaves i just hope we won't spend so many years till we replace him like we did with Claude

loozy

although i see Xabi has that last year in him and won't be replaced effectively .. he is like Makelele you won't feel his strength and what he do till he leaves i just hope we won't spend so many years till we replace him like we did with Claude

Real just have to look at Liverpool to see how much Xabi can be missed when he is gone :(

As for Heynckes: I cannot see it happening.

Beast

The Observer
I largely agree Beast. That's the difference between FCB and RM for good and bad. If I recall it was the exact opposite a decade ago or so. Also this is mainly why I will pass judgement after the transfer window rather than now because I believe a lot will change at both clubs.

If Mourinho was not eager to leave then I would agree that RM has fewer positions to strengthen than FCB.

I also agree about many of the Dortmund players. Apart from Reus, Hummels, Lewandowski and a few others then it is mostly the terrific teamwork they survive on. They will struggle in the upcoming years IMO. Bayern is not a club they can compete on on any level on the long run. Unfortunately.

But anyway I will give a huge ovation to Klopp and Dortmund in general. What they have archived in the last 3-4 years is very impressive considering where they came from.

The most improved team in Europe of the traditional "big" clubs in the last few years. If they advance to the final then you can't do anything else than cheer for them and I say this as a person who has always liked Bayern.

Regarding Gündogan then I rate him much higher than Sahin. The guy has also been impressive for Germany. But I rate Verratti higher personally.

Yeah it was the exact opposite and that's the beauty of Spain , RM & FCB keep switching trends (like the Dutch invasion we had few years ago :D with Huntelaar,Robben,Sneijder & VDV )

I think we already replaced Pepe in the magnificent Varane although i still need to see more of him & Ramos together..
Carvajal should be recalled this summer to replace Arbeloa
Essien gone with daddy (sadly i like Essien he adds a lot )
than you have CR which make us go for Bale
If not either Benz or Higuain will leave & i see us gunning with Aguero as part of the presidential election
sadly i don't see Hummels as a big thing i feel you are doing a mistake here if you got him.. he is way too slow and will be exposed in Spain when there is more individual skills than group game .. but that's your club vision and they should know what they are doing

Dortmund is a great story and all the respect and admiration to them for the football they play & for coming back from bankruptcy after their heights in the late 90's to the lows 10 years ago to back to back league and now on the brink of qualification to the CL final after 16-17 years
I feel they are beatable if Jose study Bayern or Schalke tactics against them .. 3-0 is not far fetched as long as Pepe doesn't see the pitch

Beast

The Observer
Real just have to look at Liverpool to see how much Xabi can be missed when he is gone :(

As for Heynckes: I cannot see it happening.

A lot can happen but his stocks has gone up after last year & this year showing in the Cl , don't remember he delivered us the 7th CL but was sacked for coming up 4th in the league
he is going to Spain or EPL for 2 more seasons i anticipate there is movement from our side to secure him unless he want a less demanding job

loozy

A lot can happen but his stocks has gone up after last year & this year showing in the Cl , don't remember he delivered us the 7th CL but was sacked for coming up 4th in the league
he is going to Spain or EPL for 2 more seasons i anticipate there is movement from our side to secure him unless he want a less demanding job

I reckon he is retiring. He only did the Bayern-job as a favour to his good friend Hoeneß (and what a nice guy Hoeneß is, backstabbing him with the Pep-announcement... Anyways :p).

DucdeOrléans

Yeah it was the exact opposite and that's the beauty of Spain , RM & FCB keep switching trends (like the Dutch invasion we had few years ago :D with Huntelaar,Robben,Sneijder & VDV )

I think we already replaced Pepe in the magnificent Varane although i still need to see more of him & Ramos together..
Carvajal should be recalled this summer to replace Arbeloa
Essien gone with daddy (sadly i like Essien he adds a lot )
than you have CR which make us go for Bale
If not either Benz or Higuain will leave & i see us gunning with Aguero as part of the presidential election
sadly i don't see Hummels as a big thing i feel you are doing a mistake here if you got him.. he is way too slow and will be exposed in Spain when there is more individual skills than group game .. but that's your club vision and they should know what they are doing

Dortmund is a great story and all the respect and admiration to them for the football they play & for coming back from bankruptcy after their heights in the late 90's to the lows 10 years ago to back to back league and now on the brink of qualification to the CL final after 16-17 years
I feel they are beatable if Jose study Bayern or Schalke tactics against them .. 3-0 is not far fetched as long as Pepe doesn't see the pitch

Haha indeed.:D Still remember the Dutch contingent at both clubs. Strange times indeed.

Yes, I think you know that I rate Varane extremely highly and I was already talking about him 2 years ago. I have been really impressed by him regardless of his recent showings. It was bound to happen anyway. The kid just turned 20 a few days ago! I think that him and Ramos have the potential to be the very best pairing. But let's hope not!

I don't know this Carvajal very well. Is he similar to Montoya?

Yes, Essien has been a stable performer when featured.

Really? You want Bale? Not afraid of him flopping in Spain? I know that RM have a better tradition of integrating British players than FCB and that Bale is not the typical British player. But I can't think that he would be a step or two down in comparison with Ronaldo. Also if you buy Bale then the tactics would probably still be focused on counter attacks which you are doing much better than must teams already.

Agüero would be a great pick. I always wanted him at FCB but I guess it was not bound to happen.

Yes, I have that fear about Hummels as well. I am "afraid" that his pace is not up to the standards required especially since that was one of Puyol's main attributes. Apart from that then Piqué needs a fast partner. Thiago Silva would be a better pick football wise but he would come very expensive, he is soon to be 29 years old and has a habit of being injured quite a bit. Also he lives on his pace/physique which probably means that he has 2-3 seasons left at his current level at most IMO.

I agree about the Dortmund part and I was referring to that. Many completely forget where they came from and how good they really play. They were also way better than Manchester City so they are not a "one-season wonder". Moreover they have won 2 league titles in 3 years and the cup last season after beating Bayern with 4-1 in the final.

Yes, I still have a feeling that you will make it. It would be typical of Mourinho to pull something off like that. RM and BM would also be a great final. Obviously I will be cheering for the underdog (Dortmund) though regardless of the fact that I have always liked Bayern and predicted them to be the team to beat this season. They are a frightening team and arguably the biggest rival for both FCB and RM for European glory in the upcoming years if something dramatical does not happen.

Last edited:

oz187

the average age of the players is much younger than Barca and still there is hunger
the only 30's are Xabi , Iker , Kaka and Diego Lopez.. forget Ricardo
rest of the team are mid twenties
Keepers tend to last lounger so the problem is Xabi position
in your case it's Xavi , Valdes & Puyol and there loss will be so huge

Xavi still has a couple of years in him. You also have the likes of Iniesta, Messi and Thiago who offer a lot of the skills that he has. The midfield may be a bit weaker but the system maintained, if the defense and forwards are improved then the overall level can be maintained. Puyol is a loss, but again his loss doesn't change the system. Just need to find the right person.

Valdes will be tough to replace I agree. We could see a merry go round of goalkeepers the next 5 or 10 years as they try to find one that has the character to cope with the pressure.

In your case I think Xabi is crucial. He offers a unique balance of strength and playmaking. He's the lynchpin of the team. A change would be a fundamental change which could go well or bad. Again it doesn't just matter the quality of the player, you also need someone with the character to play at a premium club like Real Madrid. In terms of keeper, Casillas used to be absolutely amazing. I remember around the Capello years, in those days he was your biggest matchwinner. The rest of the team will need to improve to compensate. And then the other big question is how long Cristiano can maintain his level. We'll probably have the same question to deal with in 3 years time with Messi.

Home of Barca Fans